Men's Tennis Takes 3rd In San Diego Spring Classic
March 16, 2012
SAN DIEGO - The No. 51 San Diego State men's tennis team picked up a 4-0 victory against Oklahoma State on Friday night at the Aztec Tennis Center to take third place in the Hilton San Diego Mission Valley Spring Classic. With the win, SDSU improved to 10-4 on the year and Oklahoma State dropped to 5-7 this season.
Singles were played first in order to decide a winner and the Aztecs cruised to their 10th victory of the year. Derek Siddiqui started things off with a 6-3, 6-1 defeat of Rifat Biktyakov. Freddy Gelbrich followed suit with a win over Trevor Horstmann by the score of 6-2, 6-2.
Rickey Baylon was up next with a convincing 6-3, 6-1 victory against Brandon Champagne at number six singles. Hunter Nicholas then clinched the match for the Aztecs as he earned a 6-2, 6-4 win against Eric West.
At number one singles, meanwhile, No. 96 Javier Pulgar held a 5-2 lead in the first set tiebreaker against Vlad Bondarenko before the match was called with SDSU's 4-0 victory already clinched.
Next up for the Aztecs will be a trip to Colorado Springs, Colo. to face Air Force in the team's Mountain West opener. The conference tilt is set for an 11 a.m. PT start at the Lifetime Fitness Center.
No. 51 San Diego State 4, Oklahoma State 0
Friday, March 15, 2012
Aztec Tennis Center | San Diego, Calif.
1. No. 96 Javier Pulgar (SDSU) vs. Vlad Bondarenko DNF: 6-6 (5-2 in first set tiebreaker)
2. Derek Siddiqui (SDSU) def. Rifat Biktyakov (Oklahoma State), 6-3, 6-1
3. Thorsten Bertsch (SDSU) vs. Chris Haworth (Oklahoma State), DNF: 4-6, 0-1
4. Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) def. Eric West (Oklahoma State), 6-2, 6-4
5. Freddy Gelbrich (SDSU) def. Trevor Horstmann (Oklahoma State), 6-2, 6-2
6. Rickey Baylon (SDSU) def. Brandon Champagne (Oklahoma State), 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 6, 4