Falcons Blank Oral Roberts 7-0
March 18, 2013
The Air Force men’s tennis team snapped a two-match losing skid Monday with a 7-0 victory over Oral Roberts at the Academy. The Falcons, who won all nine matches, improved to 9-7 this season while ORU fell to 0-10.
Air Force grabbed the doubles point by sweeping all three matches. Senior Lance Wilhelm and sophomore Grant Taylor improved to 11-5 at the No. 1 position with an 8-4 victory over Fabian Zierleyn and Jason Mechali, while junior Alex Grubbs and freshman Jack McCullers downed Alan Parker and Nathaniel Avery, 8-2, at No. 2. Junior Steven Young and freshman Andrew Parks completed the sweep with an 8-2 triumph over Braxton Bates and Gabriel Kanelopoulos at No. 3.
The Falcons kept the momentum going in singles, winning all six matches in straight sets. Wilhelm, who moved up to No. 78 in the national rankings last week, improved to 12-3 at the No. 1 spot with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Zierleyn, then Taylor won the No. 4 match, 6-1, 6-0 over Avery. Grubbs clinched the team match by blanking Parker, 6-0, 6-0. Young (No. 2), junior Andy Jackson (No, 5) and Parks (No. 6) also won in straight sets for the Falcons.
Air Force idle until Sunday, March 31 when it hosts UC-Santa Barbara at Lifetime Fitness Center in Colorado Springs beginning at 9 a.m.
Air Force 7, Oral Roberts 0
Monday, March 18
1. Wilhelm / Taylor (AF) def. Zierleyn / Mechali, 8-4
2. Grubbs / Jack McCullers (AF) def. Parker / Avery, 8-2
3. Parks / Young (AF) def. Bates / Kanelopoulos, 8-2
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. #78 Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Fabian Zierleyn, 6-2, 6-3
2. Steven Young (AF) def. Jason Mechali, 6-3, 6-2
3. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Alan Parker, 6-0, 6-0
4. Grant Taylor (AF) def. Nathaniel Avery, 6-1, 6-0
5. Andy Jackson (AF) def. Braxton Bates, 6-0, 6-3
6. Andrew Parks (AF) def. Gabriel Kanelopoulos, 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 3, 2, 5, 6