Fritz Fuels 4-3 Win Over Falcons
April 5, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. --- For the second consecutive match, freshman Felipe Fritz clinched a crucial 4-3 Mountain West match for the Fresno State men's tennis team as the 'Dogs downed Air Force during the first of two road matches this weekend for the Bulldogs.
"I'm so proud of our guys for pulling through in extremely tough conditions," said first-year head coach Evan Austin. "We continue to improve with each match and we are really looking forward to our next opportunity at New Mexico."
The 'Dogs started out the match by clinching the doubles point for the second consecutive match. Sai Kartik Nakireddi and Jeremy Quiroz won 8-5 on court two, while the freshman duo of Nikolas Papic and Felipe Fritz edged out an 8-6 victory at No. 3.
The 'Dogs then proceeded to win three out of the six singles matches to claim the 4-3 edge.
Reid deLaubenfels recorded the only singles match without a tiebreaker or third set as he dominated 6-1, 6-2 at No. 2. Junior Sam Mac Neil returned to his winning ways as he edged Andrew Parks 7-6, 6-4 on court five.
Fritz then recorded his eighth three-set victory of the season to clinch the match for the 'Dogs. The freshman from Santiago, Chile defeated #75 Lance Wilhelm in three extremely close sets 7-5, 4-6, 6-4.
The 'Dogs continue their conference road trip as they travel to Albuquerque, N.M. to face the New Mexico Lobos on Sunday at 10 a.m. PT.
Fresno State 4, Air Force 3
1. Wilhelm/Taylor (AF) def DeLaubenfels/MacNeil 8-4
2. Quiroz/Kartik def Grubbs/McCullers (AF) 8-5
3. Papic/Fritz def Parks/Young (AF) 8-6
1. Felipe Fritz (FS) def #75 Lance Wilhelm(AF) 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
2. Reid deLaubenfels (FS) def Steven Young (AF) 6-1, 6-3
3. Alex Grubbs (AF) def Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 1-6, 7-5, 6-2
4. Grant Taylor (AF) def Nikolas Papic 7-6, 6-4
5. Sam MacNeil (FS) def Andrew Parks (AF) 7-6, 6-4
6. Jack McCullers (AF) def Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - Check on to gobulldogs.com for live stats for all of the Men's and Women's Bulldog home tennis matches.