Falcons Down Weber State 5-2
April 8, 2012
The Air Force men's tennis team snapped a two-match losing streak and improved to 9-10 this season with a 5-2 victory over Weber State Sunday at the Appleton Tennis Center in Boise, Idaho.
The Falcons jumped out to an early 1-0 lead with wins at the top two doubles spots, including an impressive 8-3 victory at the No. 1 position by junior Lance Wilhelm and freshman Grant Taylor over Oliver Good and Simon Unger, the Mountain Region's fourth-ranked doubles team. AFA's No. 2 team of sophomores Alex Grubbs and Andy Jackson also won, defeating Peter Ramstromer-Pello and Caio Poitena, 8-6.
The Falcons then won four of the six singles matches, led by Grubbs, who dominated the No. 2 match over Good, 6-0, 6-1. Sophomore Alex Lineberry rallied to win the No. 3 match 4-6, 6-2, 6-1 over Dave Hintze, while Taylor (No. 5) and sophomore Steven Young (No. 6) also won for the Falcons.
"This was a good win for us today," said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous. "We battled back in several singles matches after losing the first set and Grant Taylor came up big to close out the match."
Air Force battles Lamar University on Friday, April 13 at 10 a.m. in Arlington, Texas.
Air Force 5, Weber State 2
April 8, 2012 - Appleton Tennis Center
1. Taylor/Wilhelm (AF) def. Good/Unger (WSU) 8-3
2. Grubbs/Jackson (AF) def. Poitena/Romstromer-Pello (WSU) 8-6
3. Garner/D. Hintze (WSU) def. Young / Joey Brandt (AF)
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Simon Unger (WSU) def. Lance Wilhelm (AF) 6-3, 6-2
2. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Oliver Good (WSU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Alex Lineberry (AF) def. Dave Hintze (WSU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Peter Ramstromer-Pello (WSU) def. Andy Jackson (AF) 6-4, 2-6, 7-6(3)
5. Grant Taylor (AF) def. Caio Poitena (WSU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Steven Young (AF) def. Ryan Garner (WSU) 6-1, 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 6, 5, 3, 4