Falcons Pull Out 4-3 Victory Over Lamar
April 13, 2012
The Air Force men's tennis won its second consecutive match and evened its season record at 10-10 with a hard-fought 4-3 victory over Lamar University Friday afternoon in Arlington, Texas. The Falcons, who have won at least 10 matches in each of the last three years, won the doubles point, then captured three singles matches to drop Lamar to 6-10 on the season.
Air Force jumped out to a 1-0 lead with wins at the Nos. 2 and 3 spots. Sophomores Alex Grubbs and Andy Jackson won the No. 2 match, 8-6, over Denis Ermilov and Carlos Valdenboro, while junior Stephen Katrein and sophomore Alex Lineberry downed Bruno Snyder and Mikko Rajamaki by the same score at No. 3.
In singles play, junior Lance Wilhelm and Grubbs won at the top two spots. Wilhelm downed Rob Lee at the No. 1 position, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3, while Grubbs saved a match point in the second set tiebreak then dominated the third set in a 3-6, 7-6(8), 6-0 win over Ermilov to clinch the team match. Wilhelm and Grubbs each posted his 26th combined dual match victory this year, the most by any Air Force player since Mike Youn won 27 in 2007.
Sophomore Steven Young posted the other singles win for Air Force with a 7-5, 6-0 victory over Gabriel Aboitiz at the No. 6 spot.
"Both teams played great tennis today and this was a very exciting match," said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous. "It was nice to see our No. 3 doubles team pull out a big win to clinch the doubles point, coming back from a break down. In singles, our guys made good adjustments for the windy conditions and played smart tennis. This is a great way to start our tough road trip."
The Falcons battle UT-Arlington on Saturday at 10 a.m.
Air Force 4, Lamar 3
April 13, 2012
1. Horvath / Lee (LU) def. Wilhelm / Taylor, 8-4
2. Grubbs / Jackson (AF) def. Ermilov / Valdenebro, 8-6
3. Stephen Katrein / Lineberry (AF) def. Rajamaki, Mikko / Snyder, 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Rob Lee, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
2. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Denis Ermilov, 3-6, 7-6(8), 6-0
3. Marton Horvath (LU) def. Alex Lineberry, 7-5, 3-6, 6-4
4. Carlos Valdenebro (LU) def. Andy Jackson, 6-1, 6-2
5. Bruno Snyder (LU) def. Grant Taylor, 6-0, 6-4
6. Steven Young (AF) def. Gabriel Aboitiz, 7-5, 6-0
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 5, 1, 2, 3