Horned Frogs Drop Close Match With Boise State
April 14, 2012
FORT WORTH, Texas – The TCU men’s tennis team had a chance to knock off the top-ranked team in the Mountain West, but the Horned Frogs ran out of gas, falling to No. 30 Boise State, 5-2, Friday at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center.
The match was close from the beginning, as the Broncos needed a tiebreaker in the deciding match to claim the doubles point. After BSU stole a quick win from the top court, TCU’s team of junior JT Sundling and freshman Facundo Lugones rallied from behind to collect a 9-7 victory at the NO. 3 position to even things at 1-1. In the end, Boise State took the doubles tally with a 9-8 (3) win from the middle position.
BSU jumped to a 2-0 lead as singles play commenced. TCU newcomer Nick Chappell brought the Purple and White back into the match, claiming a 6-4, 6-4 straight-set decision against No. 69 James Meredith. The Indianapolis, Ind., native now has three wins over nationally-ranked opponents this spring and leads the team with an 11-6 singles record.
Senior Daniel Sanchez kept the momentum in the Frogs’ favor, scratching out a 7-6 (5), 6-1 victory against BSU’s Nathan Sereke from the No. 4 court. The win evened the team score at 2-2 with three matches left to play out.
All three of the remaining matches were pushed into a third set. In the end, Boise State came out on top the rest of the way to pick up a 5-2 team win.
TCU will continue the Mountain West slate at home, Air Force Sunday. First serve is set for 10 a.m.
Boise State (21-6, 3-0) def. TCU (6-13, 1-2 MW), 5-2
Friday, April 13, 2012
Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center | Fort Worth, Texas
1. Nick Chappell (TCU) def. No. 69 James Meredith (BSU), 6-4, 6-4
2. No. 74 Damian Hume (BSU) def. JT Sundling (TCU), 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
3. Andrew Bettles (BSU) def. Facundo Lugones (TCU), 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (3)
4. Daniel Sanchez (TCU) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU), 7-6 (5), 6-1
5. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Will Stein (TCU), 6-4, 6-2
6. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Max Stevens (TCU), 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (5)
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 4, 2, 6*, 3
1. Meredith/Sereke (BSU) def. Daniel Sanchez/Max Stevens (TCU), 8-3
2. Hume/Sears (BSU) def. N. Chappell/Stein (TCU), 9-8 (3)
3. Lugones/Sundling (TCU) def. Bettles/Pogostkin (BSU), 9-7
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2*