Men's Tennis Sweeps UNLV, 7-0, For Fourth MW Win
April 14, 2012
SAN DIEGO - The No. 50 San Diego State men's tennis team wrapped up Mountain West play with a 7-0 sweep against UNLV on Saturday afternoon at the Aztec Tennis Center. SDSU improves to 14-6 overall and 4-1 in league play, while the Rebels drop to 7-14 and 1-3 in MW this season.
The Aztecs won all three matches in doubles play to clinch the point and take a 1-0 lead. At number one, Javier Pulgar and Freddy Gelbrich defeated Tamas Batyi and Johannes Markel by a score of 9-7. Thorsten Bertsch and Derek Siddiqui then tallied a 9-8 (6) victory against Bernard Schoeman and Rene Ruegamer. Rickey Baylon and Spencer Simon wrapped up doubles with an 8-4 decision over Willie Sublette and Alex Bull.
SDSU continued the same success in singles as they notched victories at number one through six. No. 120 Javier Pulgar easily defeated Rene Ruegamer by the score of 7-5, 6-2. Derek Siddiqui then earned a 7-6 (1), 6-1 win against Tamas Batyi. Thorsten Bertsch was also victorious, earning a 7-5, 6-0 decision against Brian Kenyon. Spencer Simon picked up a three-set win against Willie Sublette and Juan Florez posted a 6-4, 6-1 victory against Bernard Schoeman.
San Diego State will now prepare to face off with USD on Thursday, April 19. The non-conference tilt is scheduled for 3 p.m. PT at Hogan Tennis Center.
No. 50 San Diego State 7, UNLV 0
Saturday, April 14, 2012
Aztec Tennis Center | San Diego, Calif.
1. Javier Pulgar / Freddy Gelbrich (SDSU) def. Tamas Batyi / Johannes Markel (UNLV) --- 9-7
2. Thorsten Bertsch / Derek Siddiqui (SDSU) def. Bernard Schoeman / Rene Ruegamer (UNLV) --- 9-8 (6)
3. Hunter Nicholas / Rickey Baylon (SDSU) def. Willie Sublette / Alex Bull (UNLV) --- 8-4
1. No. 120 Javier Pulgar (SDSU) def. Rene Ruegamer (UNLV) --- 7-5, 6-2
2. Derek Siddiqui (SDSU) def. Tamas Batyi (UNLV) --- 7-6 (1), 6-1
3. Thorsten Bertsch (SDSU) def. Brian Kenyon (UNLV) --- 7-5, 6-0
4. Freddy Gelbrich (SDSU) def. Alex Bull (UNLV) --- 6-3, 6-1
5. Spencer Simon (SDSU) def. Willie Sublette (UNLV) --- 6-7 (3), 6-1, 10-6
6. Juan Florez (SDSU) def. Bernard Schoeman (UNLV) --- 6-4, 6-1