'Dogs Drop Match 6-1 To Boise State
April 14, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
FRESNO, Calif. --- The Fresno State men's tennis team fell 6-1 Sunday afternoon to No. 46 Boise State at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center. The 'Dogs fall to 2-3 in Mountain West play with one regular season match versus UNLV remaining.
The nationally-ranked Broncos took a 1-0 lead after doubles, despite a valiant effort from the 'Dogs on courts one and three. Boise State first took court two 8-1 and then needed a massive comeback from 3-7 to win 9-7 on court one to seal the point. On court three, the 'Dogs and Broncos were knotted at seven when the point was clinched and therefore did not finish.
In singles, Boise State took a 2-0 lead when Bulldog Sam MacNeil had to retired due to injury. The Broncos then picked up wins from No. 33 Andrew Bettles on court one and Filipp Pogostkin on No. 4 to seal the victory.
Jeremy Quiroz then recorded his first win in Mountain West play this season and got the 'Dogs on the scoreboard with a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Garrett Patton.
The final two matches of the day went to three sets with both Boise State players coming out victorious.
The Bulldogs have one regular season match remaining and will travel to Las Vegas next weekend to face UNLV at noon on Saturday.
Tennis Match Results
#46 Boise State 6, Fresno State 1
1. #33 Andrew Bettles (BSU) def. Felipe Fritz (FS) 6-1, 6-2
2. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Reid deLaubenfels (FS) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
3. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
4. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Nikolas Papic (FS) 6-4, 6-3
5. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Sam MacNeil (FS) 3-0, retired
6. Jeremy Quiroz (FS) def. Garrett Patton (BSU) 7-5, 6-4
1. Andrew Bettles/Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Reid deLaubenfels/Sam MacNeil (FS) 9-7
2. Garrett Patton/Scott Sears (BSU) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi/Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 8-1
3. Felipe Fritz/Nikolas Papic (FS) vs. Toby Mitchell/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 7-7,
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (5,1,4,6,2,3)
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - Check on to gobulldogs.com for live stats for all of the Men's and Women's Bulldog home tennis matches.