TCU Blanks Falcons, 7-0
April 15, 2012
The Air Force men's tennis team wrapped up Mountain West ply on Sunday with a 7-0 loss to TCU in Fort Worth, Texas. The Falcons fell to 10-12 overall and 0-5 in the Mountain West while the Horned Frogs improved to 7-13 and 2-2 in league play.
In singles play, TCU won all six matches, four of them in straight sets. Sophomores Alex Grubbs and Andy Jackson each took his opponent to three sets. Grubbs won the first set of the No. 2 match against JT Sundling, 6-4, but lost the second set 6-0 then dropped a super-tiebreak 10-2. Jackson, meanwhile, won the second set 6-0 against Max Stevens at the No. 5 position, but lsot the first and third sets by a score of 6-4.
"Our guys represented the Academy well today," said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous, "They fought for every point and got beat going for their shots. TCU played too strong today but it's great to see our guys compete so well at this level."
The Falcons play their final regular season match next Sunday, April 22 against Colorado College at the Academy beginning at 10 a.m.
TCU 7, Air Force 0
April 15, 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
1. Chappell / Stein (TCU) def. Wilhelm / Taylor, 9-7
2. Lugines / Sundling (TCU) def. Grubbs / Jackson, 8-5
3. Stevens / Wiggins (TCU) def. Young / Joey Brandt, 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Nick Chappell (TCU) def. Lance Wilhelm, 6-2, 6-2
2. JT Sundling (TCU) def. Alex Grubbs, 4-6, 6-0, 1-0(2)
3. Facundo Lugones (TCU) def. Alex Lineberry, 6-0, 6-3
4. Will Stein (TCU) def. Steven Young, 6-2, 6-0
5. Max Stevens (TCU) def. Andy Jackson, 6-4, 0-6, 6-4
6. Blake Wiggins (TCU) def. Grant Taylor, 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 1, 2, 5, 6