Falcons Lose Season Finale to New Mexico, 6-1
April 21, 2013
The Air Force men’s tennis team closed out its regular season Sunday afternoon with a 6-1 loss to 63rd-ranked New Mexico at the Academy. The Lobos evened their record at 12-12 and 3-3 in the Mountain West, while the Falcons fell to 11-12 overall and 0-6 in league play.
Air Force jumped out to a 1-0 lead by winning two of the three doubles matches. AFA’s No. 2 team of against junior Alex Grubbs and freshman Jack McCullers started it off with an 8-6 win over Jadon Phillips and Mitch McDaniels, but UNM captured the No. 1 match when Conor Berg and Andrew Van Der Vyver downed Senior Lance Wilhelm and sophomore Grant Taylor by the same score. Juniors Steven Young and Andy Jackson clinched the point for Air Force with an exciting 9-7 win over Samir Iftikhar and Mads Hegelund at the No. 3 spot.
The Falcons were unable to keep the momentum through the singles matches as UNM won all six, five of them in straight sets. Freshman Andrew Parks took the No. 6 match against Hegelund to three sets before falling, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.
The Falcons host the 2013 Mountain West tennis Championships next week. Air Force will be the No. 7 seed at the tournament and face second-seeded Boise State on Thursday, April 25 at 2 p.m.
#63 New Mexico 6, Air Force 1
April 21, 2013
1. Berg / Van Der Vyver (UNM) def. Wilhelm / Taylor, 8-6
2. Grubbs / Jack McCullers (AF) def. Phillips / McDaniels, 8-6
3. Young / Jackson (AF) def. Iftikhar / Hegelund, 9-7
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Jadon Phillips (UNM) def. #97 Lance Wilhelm, 7-5, 6-4
2. Conor Berg (UNM) def. Steven Young, 6-4, 6-4
3. Samir Iftikhar (UNM) def. Grant Taylor, 6-2, 6-3
4. Mitch McDaniels (UNM) def. Alex Grubbs, 7-5, 6-4
5. Andrew Van Der Vyver (UNM) def. Andy Jackson, 6-1, 6-3
6. Mads Hegelund (UNM) def. Andrew Parks, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 1, 2, 4, 6