Falcons Fall to Boise State 4-1 at Mtn. West Championships
April 25, 2013
The Air Force men’s tennis team wrapped up its season Thursday with a 4-1 loss to the 46th-ranked Boise State Broncos in the quarterfinals of the 2013 Mountain West Championships held at the Academy. The seventh-seeded Falcons completed their season with a 10-14 record, while the second-seeded Broncos improved to 18-9 and will face No. 3 seed UNLV on Saturday.
The Broncos took a 1-0 lead with victories at the Nos. 2 and 3 doubles spots. Air Force’s No. 1 doubles team of senior Lance Wilhelm and sophomore Grant Taylor were off the court first after defeating Andrew Bettles and Nathan Sereke, 8-6. Boise State battled back to win each of the other two matches 9-8 in a tiebreaker. Garrett Patton and Scott Sears won the No. 2 match over junior Alex Grubbs and freshman Jack McCullers, 7-4, in the tiebreaker, while Toby Mitchell and Aidan Reid saved a match point and won the No. 3 breaker, 9-7, over juniors Steven Young and Andy Jackson.
Boise State took a 2-0 lead when Thomas Tenreiro downed Jackson, 6-3, 6-0, at the No. 5 spot. Wilhelm cut the lead in half with a decisive, 6-3, 6-2 victory over Bettles, who is ranked 30th in the country. It was Wilhelm’s second victory over Bettles this season and the first Air Force singles win in the conference tournament since 2005.
Sereke gave BSU a 3-1 lead with a 6-2, 7-5 win over Young at No. 2, then Patton clinched the team match with a 7-5, 6-4 victory over freshman Andrew Parks at No. 6. The other two matches were then halted. Taylor was leading Scott Sears at the No. 3 spot, 6-2, 2-6, 4-3, and Grubbs was tied at 6-all in the second set with Filipp Pogostkin, who won the first set 6-3.
#46 Boise State 4, Air Force 1
April 25, 2013
Quarterfinals – Mountain West Championships
1. Wilhelm / Taylor (AF) def. Bettles / Sereke, 8-6
2. Patton / Sears (BSU) def. Grubbs / Jack McCullers, 9-8 (4)
3. Toby Mitchell / Aidan Reid (BSU) def. Jackson / Young, 9-8 (7)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Andrew Bettles, 6-3, 6-2
2. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Steven Young, 6-2, 7-5
3. Grant Taylor (AF) led Scott Sears (BSU), 6-2, 2-6, 4-3, unfinished
4. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) led Alex Grubbs, 6-3, 6-6, unfinished
5. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Andy Jackson, 6-3, 6-0
6. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Andrew Parks, 7-5, 6-4
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 2, 6