No. 4 TCU Defeats No. 5 UNLV to Advance to the Semifinals of the 2012 Mountain West Men's Tennis Championship
April 27, 2012
- 2012 MW Tennis Championships Central
- Buy Championship Photos!
- Buy Championship Gear!
SAN DIEGO - Facundo Lugones earned the fourth point at No. 2 singles as fourth-seeded TCU defeated fifth-seeded UNLV, 4-1, in the quarterfinals of the 2012 Mountain West Men's Tennis Championship in San Diego, Calif. The Horned Frogs will face No. 1 Boise State in the semifinals at 10 a.m. PT on Saturday, April 28 at the Aztec Tennis Center.
The Rebels earned the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles positions. The UNLV duo of Tamas Batyi and Johannes Markel won at the top of the lineup, 8-6, over Daniel Sanchez and Max Stevens, while the duo of Bernard Schoeman and Brian Kenyon helped the Rebels secure the doubles point with an 9-8 victory over Nick Chappell and Nick Stein at the No. 2 spot.
TCU evened the score at 1-1 after Chappell, the MW Freshman of the Year award recipient, picked up a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Ruegamer at the top of the singles lineup. The Horned Frogs jumped out to a 3-1 lead in the dual after Stevens earned a 7-6 (7-3), 6-1 decision over Charlie Alvarado at the sixth spot and J.T. Sundling secured a 6-1, 7-6 (8-6) victory over Brian Kenyon at the third singles position.
Lugones put the win away for the Horned Frogs with a 7-6, 6-4 win over Bayti.
Fourth-Seeded TCU 4, Fifth-Seeded UNLV 1
Aztec Tennis Center | San Diego, Calif.
1. Johannes Markel/Tamas Batyi (UNLV) def. Daniel Sanchez/Max Stevens (TCU), 8-6
2. Bernard Schoeman/Brian Kenyon (UNLV) def. Will Stein/Nick Chappell (TCU), 9-8
3. J.T. Sundling/Blake Wiggins (TCU) def. Alvarado/Alex Bull (UNLV), 8-5
1. No. 125 Nick Chappell (TCU) def. Rene Ruegamer (UNLV), 6-2, 6-0
2. Facundo Lugones (TCU) def. Tamas Batyi (UNLV), 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
3. J.T. Sundling (TCU) def. Brian Kenyon (UNLV), 6-1, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Daniel Sanchez (TCU) vs. Alex Bull (UNLV), 7-5, 6-6, unfinished
5. Will Stein (TCU) vs. Willie Sublette (UNLV), 4-6, 6-4 unfinished
6. Max Stevens (TCU) def. Charlie Alvarado (UNLV), 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
Order of finish
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 1, 6, 3, 2
GET INSIDE ACCESS TO THE MOUNTAIN WEST!
Full coverage of the 2012 Mountain West Tennis Championships can be found online. Visit Championship Central for live scores, updated brackets, photos, videos and more. You can also follow the MW on its social media channels: