Men's Tennis Drops 4-1 Decision to UNM in MW Semifinals
April 28, 2012
SAN DIEGO - The two-seeded San Diego State men's tennis team was unable to find momentum after dropping the doubles point and suffered a 4-1 setback to No. 3 seed New Mexico in the Mountain West semifinals on Saturday afternoon at the Aztec Tennis Center.
In doubles play, New Mexico tallied the doubles point after getting wins at number two and three.
The Aztecs started off singles play by winning the first set in three of the matches, but weren't able to gain any momentum as the Lobos earned consecutive wins at number five and three, respectively.
Derek Siddiqui kept SDSU alive as he defeated Ben Dunbar by the score of 6-4, 6-2 at number two singles. New Mexico, however, ended the Aztecs' tourney run as it clinched the 4-1 win when Conor Berg earned a three-set victory.
San Diego State ends the season with a 15-8 record.
(3) No. 66 New Mexico 4, (2) No. 59 San Diego State 1
Saturday, April 28, 2012
Aztec Tennis Center | San Diego, Calif.
1. Javier Pulgar / Freddy Gelbrich (SDSU) vs. Phil Anderson / Jadon Phillips (UNM) --- 4-6, unfinished
2. Conor Berg / Ben Dunbar (UNM) def. Thorsten Bertsch / Derek Siddiqui (SDSU) --- 8-1
3. Carl Ho / James Hignett (UNM) def. Hunter Nicholas / Rickey Baylon (SDSU) --- 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. No. 117 Javier Pulgar (SDSU) vs. Jadon Phillips (UNM) --- 4-6, 6-3, 3-0, unfinished
2. Derek Siddiqui (SDSU) def. Ben Dunbar (UNM) --- 6-4, 6-2
3. Phil Anderson (UNM) def. Thorsten Bertsch (SDSU) --- 6-3, 6-4
4. Conor Berg (UNM) def. Freddy Gelbrich (SDSU) --- 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Sam Iftikhar (UNM) def. Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) --- 6-4, 6-0
6. Juan Florez (SDSU) vs. Carl Ho (UNM) --- 6-3, 4-5, unfinished
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 2, 4