Lobos Sign Hayden Sabatka in Early Signing Period
Nov. 16, 2012
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - University of New Mexico Head Coach Alan Dils and Associate Head Coach Bart Scott are pleased to announce the signing of two-time Colorado State High School champion standout Hayden Sabatka. Sabatka will join the Lobo men's tennis team in 2013-14.
The 6' 1" Lone Tree, Colorado native completed a great high school career this fall as he won the 5A State Singles Championship for the second year in a row. Sabatka was so dominant that he never dropped a set in his final two years as a prep player.
Dils has had great success with players from Colorado in the past and is thrilled to get to work with an athlete of Sabatka's caliber.
"We are very excited to have Hayden join the Lobo Tennis program," Dils said. "I think he is a great athlete and has shown he can play singles and doubles at a very high level. I see Hayden in the same mold as Bart Scott and Ryan Stotland. Bart and Ryan were excellent intermountain athletes that went on to have tremendous college careers at UNM. I know Hayden will do the same."
Some of Hayden's notable accomplishments include:
- All-Colorado Boys Tennis Team - 2011, 2012
- Class 5A Player of the Year - 2011, 2012
- Denver Post High School Player of the Year - 2011, 2012
- Colorado 5A High School State Tennis Championships
- #1 Singles - 3rd Place - 2009, 2010
- #1 Singles - 1st Place - 2011, 2012
- Highlands Ranch H.S. Team Finish: 8th - 2011, 4th - 2012
- 1st Team Continental League - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Highlands Ranch High School MVP - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Four-Year high school tennis record: 82 wins, 3 losses
- Douglas County Board of Education Recognition - 2012
- Great 8 - Mile High Sports Magazine - 2010
- Top 10 Athletes to Watch - Colorado ESPN - 2010
- #51 USTA National Ranking - Boys 14 and Boys 16 - 2009, 2011
- #70 USTA National Ranking - Boys 12 - 2007
- Won Sportsmanship Award at Boys 16 Junior Team Tennis Regionals, Oklahoma - 2007
Associate Head Coach and former Colorado tennis player Scott can't wait to see Sabatka put on the Cherry and Silver.
"I'm fired up to get a guy like Hayden Sabatka to join our squad next fall," Scott said. "He's a great athlete with a big game that will translate really well to kind of attacking tennis we play here at UNM. He has a really bright future and I'm so glad his friends and family will get a chance to see him play at the next level."
"Not only is he a great athlete, but during the recruiting process, we got to know that Hayden and his family are wonderful people. He's won sportsmanship awards at all levels and will be a pleasure to coach. Overall, it is a big win for the Lobo Tennis Community to land Hayden Sabatka."
Sabatka comes from a tradition rich tennis family. His grandfather played collegiate tennis for the University of Oklahoma where he was the Big 7 champion, and his sisters, Holly and Heather, are both great athletes as well. Holly plays collegiate volleyball for the University of West Virginia and Heather plays for the University of Colorado's top ten club team.
UNM will start its spring season with a dual match on Jan. 21, 2013 when the Lobos take on the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders at home at 6:00 p.m. MT.
For the latest information, be sure to follow UNM men's tennis on Twitter (@UNMMenTennis) and on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/UNM.Men.Tennis).