SDSU Women's Basketball-New Mexico Postgame Notes
March 10, 2012
FINAL SCORE: (1) San Diego State 57, (7) New Mexico 43
* SDSU wins the Mountain West Conference championship for the second time in league history and the second time in three years.
* SDSU earns the automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. It will be the school's third trip to the NCAAs in the last four years and its ninth in program history. (2009 - at-large bid - NCAA second round; 2010 - automatic bid - NCAA Sweet Sixteen).
* SDSU's two tourney titles tie for third in league history along with BYU.
* SDSU is 2-2 all-time in MW championships games.
* SDSU is 10-4 in the MWC tourney over the last five years.
* SDSU is 21-27 all-time vs. New Mexico and has won eight of the last 10. The Aztecs earn their first victory over the Lobos in a Mountain West tournament game in seven tries.
* SDSU is 4-1 in neutral site contests in 2011-12.
* SDSU's 25 victories are the program's most since the 1993-94 squad went 26-5. The 25 wins tie as the second-most in program history (record 26 in 1993-94).
* SDSU's 80.6 season winning percentage is the second-best in school history, trailing only the 1993-94 team that went 26-5 (83.9).
* SDSU is the fifth No. 1 seed to win the Mountain West championship. The No. 1 seed is 5-2 all-time in the MW title games.
* SDSU outrebounded New Mexico, 45-29, to improve to 21-3 this season when it outrebounds its opponent.
* SDSU held the Lobos to 15 points in the first half, which was the sixth time this season it held an opponent to 15 or less points.
* The 14-point margin of victory was the largest in a Mountain West tournament championship game since 2007, which was also 14 points when New Mexico beat BYU, 63-49.
* Courtney Clements (16 points, 6 rebounds) - Reached double-figures in scoring for the seventh straight game and 27th time of the season ... Named to the Mountain West All-Tournament Team, after scoring 56 points (18.7 ppg) and grabbing 23 rebounds (7.7 rpg) over the three games.
* Chelsea Hopkins (14 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals) - With four assists, set a school record for the most assists in a season with 202. She eclipsed Crystal Lee's 199, set in 1989 ... Named the tournament's most valuable player and to the all-tournament team ... For the three-game MW tournament, finished with 49 points (16.7 ppg), 17 rebounds (5.7 rpg), 20 assists (6.7 apg) and 10 steals (3.3 spg).
* Malia Nahinu (6 points, 8 rebounds, 4 blocks) - Named to the all-tournament team after putting up 20 points (6.7 ppg), 17 rebounds (5.7 rpg) and 12 blocks (4.0 bpg).
2012 MOUNTAIN WEST CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
* Chelsea Hopkins, SDSU (MVP)
* Courtney Clements, SDSU
* Malia Nahinu, SDSU
* Porche Torrance, New Mexico
* Lauren Lenhardt, Boise State