Mountain West Women's Basketball Weekly Release - Jan. 31, 2012
Jan. 31, 2012
|Got a question for the Mountain West? Send it to Mick@TheMWC.com.|
- First half of MW play wraps on Wednesday ... San Diego State extended its win streak to 12 last week with wins over Wyoming (56-45) and Colorado State (66-57). The Aztecs have started Conference play 6-0 going into Wednesday night's game at Boise State ... UNLV is on a four-game win streak to stay in second place at 5-1 ... Colorado State and TCU are in a tie for third at 4-2. Wyoming is in fifth at 3-3, followed by Boise State at 2-4. New Mexico and Air Force are tied for seventh at 0-6 and play each other for the first time this season on Tuesday night.
- The Ultimate Fan Experience! ... The Mountain West has launched its "Ultimate Fan Experience" contest! `Like' the Mountain West at www.facebook.com/MountainWestConference for a chance to win a trip for two to the 2012 Conoco MW Basketball Championships in Las Vegas. Grand prize winners will receive airfare and hotel accommodations for two, two all-session VIP tickets and hospitality passes to the tournament, backstage access to post-game press conferences, shuttle transportation to/from the hotel and arena, and $200 cash for food and souvenirs. The deadline for entering is Tuesday, February 7.
- February is a month for celebrating women's sports ... Mountain West teams are participating in several promotional events during the month of February to bring attention to women's basketball, breast cancer awareness and women's sports in general.
National Girls & Women In Sports Day (Feb. 1) ... 2012 marks the 26th annual National Girls & Women in Sports Day. Several Mountain West teams will be celebrating with free admission to women's basketball games throughout the month, in conjunction with a variety of clinics from hands-on sports clinics to informational clinics about living a healthy life. Boise State will hold an informational clinic for girls grades 8 and younger on Wednesday night, Feb. 1, prior to the Broncos game against San Diego State.
Play4Kay (Feb. 10-20) ... The WBCA began the Play4Kay program, formerly known as the PinkZone, in 2007 as an initiative to raise breast cancer awareness in women's basketball, on campuses and in communities. The late Kay Yow, former North Carolina State University head women's basketball coach, served as the catalyst for the initiative after her third reoccurrence of breast cancer in 2006. TCU kicks things off this week on Saturday, Feb. 4 against San Diego State.
2012 MW Play4Kay Dates
Air Force - Feb. 25 vs. UNLV; Boise State - Feb. 22 vs. UNLV; Colorado State - Feb. 11 vs. TCU; New Mexico - Feb. 25 vs. TCU; San Diego State - Feb. 11 vs. UNLV; TCU - Feb. 4 vs. SDSU; UNLV - Feb. 18 vs. UNM; Wyoming - Feb. 11 vs. UNM
Pack the House Challenge ... The Pack the House Challenge was developed by the NCAA as a grassroots effort to increase attendance and awareness of collegiate women' basketball. The program is in its fifth year. Last week, Air Force and San Diego State posted their highest home game attendance marks of the season on their Pack the House days. Three schools will host Pack the House events on Feb. 11 - Boise State, Colorado State and Wyoming.
MW Pack the House Dates
Air Force - Jan. 25, 2012 vs. TCU - 2,507
Boise State - Feb. 11, 2012 vs. AFA
Colorado State - Feb. 11, 2012 vs. TCU
New Mexico - Dec. 4, 2011 vs. NMSU - 7,551
San Diego State - Jan. 28, 2012 vs. CSU - 734
TCU - Dec. 18, 2011 vs. Texas A&M - 4,554
UNLV - Feb. 18, 2012 vs. UNM
Wyoming - Feb. 11, 2012 vs. UNM
- On the slate this week ... Air Force (5-16, 0-6) travels to New Mexico on Tuesday before hosting Colorado State on Saturday. The Falcons recorded their largest crowd of the season on Jan. 25 with 2,507 fans at the TCU game. Air Force has used 12 different starting lineups this season with 11 different players earning at least one start. Sophomore Megan O'Neil registered a career-high four blocks against UNLV on Jan. 28 and ranks fifth on the AFA Division I single season blocks list with 45 ... Boise State (11-10, 2-4) hosts San Diego State on Wednesday, then travels to New Mexico on Saturday. Sophomore Julia Marshall Julia Marshall led four Broncos in double-figure points with a season-high 15 at Wyoming on Jan. 28 ... Colorado State (8-13, 4-2) hosts UNLV in a No. 2 vs. No. 3 match-up on Wednesday night before a quick trip south on I-25 to Air Force on Saturday. Last season, the Rams beat UNLV in Moby Arena, 68-63. Senior Kim Mestdagh has scored 20 or more points in three of the last four games for the Rams ... New Mexico (6-14, 0-6) hosts Air Force on Tuesday before hosting Boise State on Saturday. Tuesday's game will be televised on The Mtn. (DirecTV 616) with Ann Schatz and Andrea Lloyd calling the action from The Pit. Senior Lauren Taylor has made 25 of her last 26 free throws, including her last 10 ... San Diego State (16-4, 6-0) travels to Boise State on Wednesday and TCU on Saturday. The Aztecs extended its win streak to 12 with a 6-0 start to Conference play last week. It is the first time in MW history that the Aztecs have started the Conference season 6-0. SDSU won seven in a row to start 1996-97 conference play. It is the fourth time SDSU has started league action 6-0 (also 1993-94, `94-95). Twelve wins in a row is SDSU's longest win streak since the 1994-95 team won a school-record 18 in a row from Jan. 3 to March 10 ... TCU (11-10, 4-2) travels to Wyoming on Wednesday before hosting San Diego State on Saturday. Saturday's game will be televised on CBS Sports Network (DirecTV 613) with Brent Stover and Tammy Blackburn calling the action from Daniel-Meyer Coliseum. The Horned Frogs are on a three-game win streak and have moved into a tie for third with Colorado State. Saturday's game with UNLV has the potential to be a top-3 team match-up. Freshman Ashley Colbert has been giving TCU a presence in the paint lately with 11 points in games against Air Force and New Mexico last week ... UNLV (17-5, 5-1) travels to Colorado State on Wednesday, followed by a home game against Wyoming on Saturday. Saturday's game will be televised on The Mtn. (DirecTV 616) with Tracy Warren and Krista Blunk scheduled to call the action from Cox Pavilion. Junior Kelli Thompson scored the last 12 points for the Lady Rebels in last week's game against Boise State to give UNLV the win and give her a team-high 24 points. UNLV's 5-1 Conference start ties for the best in school history, along with the 2003-04 squad ... Wyoming (7-12, 3-3) hosts TCU on Wednesday, followed by a road trip to UNLV on Saturday. Junior Chaundra Sewell recorded her eighth double-double of the season on Saturday against Boise State with 19 points and 10 rebounds.
- Smith becomes second MW player to reach 1,000-1,000 ... UNLV senior forward Jamie Smith needed just five points to become just the second player in Mountain West basketball history, men's or women's, to record over 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds in a career. She got 16 on Jan. 18 at TCU to reach the goal. Smith became the Mountain West all-time career rebounder on Jan. 6 with six rebounds to pass Kim Smith's record of 1,015 for Utah from 2002-06. Smith has 1,048 points and 1,064 rebounds in 116 games for the Lady Rebels. The only other player in league history to accomplish the 1,000-1,000 is Utah's Kim Smith from 2002-06 with 2,281 points and 1,015 rebounds. J. Smith is also going after the league's double-double record has well. She currently has 33 over her career and will challenge for the record of 43 held by former Lady Rebel Linda Fröhlich.
- Playing strong teams ... San Diego State earned a win over then-No. 18/18 DePaul, 82-74, on Friday, Nov. 18, the Aztecs first win over a Top 25 team since March 23, 2010 in the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament. TCU is the last MW team to earn a Top-25 win, Jan. 2, 2011 against then No. 15/14 Oklahoma, 76-69. MW teams played 47 opponents in non-conference portion of the season that made the postseason in 2010-11.
- Women's Basketball Weekly on The Mtn. ... The Mtn. - MountainWest Sports Network (DirecTV 616) is airing a new show, Women's Basketball Weekly, on Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. MT. The program recaps women's basketball action from around the Conference, plus player features, game breakdowns and a look at upcoming games.
- Mountain West Women's Basketball on Twitter ... Follow your favorite Mountain West women's basketball teams and catch up on news from around the league on Twitter at @MW_WHoops.
|This Week In Mountain West Women's Basketball|
|Game||Time||TV/Webcast||JANUARY 31 (TUESDAY)|
|* AIR FORCE at NEW MEXICO||6 p.m. MT||The Mtn.||FEBRUARY 1 (WEDNESDAY)|
|* SAN DIEGO STATE at BOISE STATE||7 p.m. MT||BroncoSports.com|
|* UNLV at COLORADO STATE||7 p.m. MT||CSURams.com|
|* TCU at WYOMING||7 p.m. MT||WyomingAthletics.com||FEBRUARY 4 (SATURDAY)|
|* SAN DIEGO STATE at TCU||2 p.m. CT||CBSSN|
|* COLORADO STATE at AIR FORCE||2 p.m. MT||GoAirForceFalcons.com|
|* BOISE STATE at NEW MEXICO||2 p.m. MT||GoLobos.com|
|* WYOMING at UNLV||4 p.m. PT||The Mtn.|
|* = Mountain West game|
|The Mtn. = MountainWest Sports Network||DirecTV 616|
|CBSSN = CBS Sports Network||DirecTV 613|
|Live stats available for most games.|