Mountain West Women's Basketball Weekly Release - Feb. 7, 2012
Feb. 7, 2012
- Midweek Break ... All eight teams are off until Saturday, getting a mid-week break one game into the second half of the Conference season ... San Diego State is currently in first place at 7-1, followed by Colorado State in second at 6-2 ... TCU, UNLV and Wyoming are in a three-way tie for third place at 5-3 after TCU ended SDSU's 13-game win streak and Wyoming beat UNLV in overtime on Saturday ... Boise State is in sixth place at 3-5 ... New Mexico is in seventh at 1-7 and Air Force is in eighth at 0-8.
- Play4Kay and Pack the House games coming up on Saturday ... Mountain West teams are participating in several promotional events during the month of February to bring attention to women's basketball, breast cancer awareness and women's sports in general.
Play4Kay ... The WBCA began the Play4Kay program, formerly known as the PinkZone, in 2007 as an initiative to raise breast cancer awareness in women's basketball, on campuses and in communities. The late Kay Yow, former North Carolina State University head women's basketball coach, served as the catalyst for the initiative after her third reoccurrence of breast cancer in 2006. TCU kicked things off last week on Saturday, Feb. 4 against San Diego State. This week Colorado State, San Diego State and Wyoming will don the pink jerseys in games played Saturday.
2012 MW Play4Kay Dates
Air Force - Feb. 25 vs. UNLV
Boise State - Feb. 22 vs. UNLV
Colorado State - Feb. 11 vs. TCU
New Mexico - Feb. 25 vs. TCU
San Diego State - Feb. 11 vs. UNLV
TCU - Feb. 4 vs. SDSU
UNLV - Feb. 18 vs. UNM
Wyoming - Feb. 11 vs. UNM
Pack the House Challenge ... The Pack the House Challenge was developed by the NCAA as a grassroots effort to increase attendance and awareness of collegiate women' basketball. The program is in its fifth year. Air Force, New Mexico, San Diego State and TCu posted their highest home game attendance marks of the season on their Pack the House days. Three schools will host Pack the House events on Feb. 11 - Boise State, Colorado State and Wyoming.
MW Pack the House Dates
Air Force - Jan. 25, 2012 vs. TCU - 2,507
Boise State - Feb. 11, 2012 vs. AFA
Colorado State - Feb. 11, 2012 vs. TCU
New Mexico - Dec. 4, 2011 vs. NMSU - 7,551
San Diego State - Jan. 28, 2012 vs. CSU - 734
TCU - Dec. 18, 2011 vs. Texas A&M - 4,554
UNLV - Feb. 18, 2012 vs. UNM
Wyoming - Feb. 11, 2012 vs. UNM
- On the slate this week ... Air Force (5-18, 0-8) travels to Boise State on Saturday. Senior Jamela Satterfield led the Falcons in scoring for the first time this season with 14 points at New Mexico on Jan. 31. Sophomore Kami Bohannon became the 12th different Falcon to earn a start this year, starting both games last week. Air Force has now used 14 different starting lineups this season ... Boise State (12-11, 3-5) hosts Air Force on Saturday. The game will be televised on The Mtn. (DirecTV 616) with Mike Evans and Andrea Lloyd calling the action from Taco Bell Arena. The Broncos snapped a five-game losing streak on Feb. 4 with a 68-64 win at New Mexico. Junior Lauren Lenhardt averaged 20 points per game last week in the loss to SDSU and win over UNM. Her 24 points against SDSU was her fifth 20+ game of the season ... Colorado State (10-13, 6-2) hosts TCU in a No. 2 vs. No. 3 match-up on Saturday. The game will be televised on CBS Sports Network (DirecTV 613) with Brent Stover and Tammy Blackburn calling the action from Moby Arena. Sophomore Sam Martin led the Rams into second place with 20 points on Saturday at Air Force ... New Mexico (7-15, 1-7) travels to Wyoming on Saturday. Junior Caroline Durbin scored a team-high 27 points against Boise State on Feb. 4, her fifth 20-point performance of the season. The Lobos continue to rank first in the Conference in home attendance at 6,741 fans per game ... San Diego State (17-5, 7-1) hosts UNLV in a 1 vs. 3 match-up on Saturday. The Aztecs had its most recent win streak stopped at 13 on Feb. 4. It was the second longest streak in program history since winning 18 in a row during the 1994-95 season ... TCU (12-11, 5-3) travels to Colorado State for a 2 vs. 3 match-up on Saturday. The Horned Frogs handed SDSU its first Conference loss of the season on Feb. 4. With the win, TCU is now 9-2 on the season when holding an opponent under 34.9 percent shooting. TCU held the Aztecs scoreless from three-point range (0-17). Sophomore Breisha Wynn scored a career-high 16 points in the game ... UNLV (17-7, 5-3) travels to San Diego State on Saturday for a 1 vs. 3 game at Viejas Arena. Against Wyoming on Feb. 4, senior Sandrine Nzeukou finished with her fourth double-double of the year, 10 points and 11 rebounds ... Wyoming (9-12, 5-3) hosts New Mexico on Saturday. Junior Chaundra Sewell averaged 17 points and nine rebounds last week to help move the Cowgirls into a three-way tie for third place in the Conference standings. Junior Brenna Freeze scored a career-high 10 points against UNLV, all in the second half. Wyoming is 2-0 in overtime games this season.
- Women's Basketball Weekly on The Mtn. ... The Mtn. - MountainWest Sports Network (DirecTV 616) is airing a new show, Women's Basketball Weekly, on Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. MT. The program recaps women's basketball action from around the Conference, plus player features, game breakdowns and a look at upcoming games.
- Mountain West Women's Basketball on Twitter ... Follow your favorite Mountain West women's basketball teams and catch up on news from around the league on Twitter at @MW_WHoops.
|Up Next In Mountain West Women's Basketball|
|Game||Time||TV/Webcast||FEBRUARY 11 (SATURDAY)|
|* NEW MEXICO at WYOMING||2 p.m. MT||WyomingAthletics.com|
|* UNLV at SAN DIEGO STATE||2 p.m. PT||GoAztecs.com|
|* AIR FORCE at BOISE STATE||4 p.m. MT||The Mtn.|
|* TCU at COLORADO STATE||4:30 p.m. MT||CBSSN|
|* = Mountain West game|
|The Mtn. = MountainWest Sports Network||DirecTV 616|
|CBSSN = CBS Sports Network||DirecTV 613|
|Live stats available for most games.|