Mountain West Women's Basketball Weekly Release - Feb. 14, 2012
Feb. 14, 2012
- More Play4Kay and Pack the House games coming up this week ... Mountain West teams are participating in several promotional events during the month of February to bring attention to women's basketball, breast cancer awareness and women's sports in general.
Play4Kay ... The WBCA began the Play4Kay program, formerly known as the PinkZone, in 2007 as an initiative to raise breast cancer awareness in women's basketball, on campuses and in communities. The late Kay Yow, former North Carolina State University head women's basketball coach, served as the catalyst for the initiative after her third reoccurrence of breast cancer in 2006. This week it is UNLV's turn to don the pink jerseys. San Diego State recorded its highest home attendance of the season on Play4Kay day - 1,068.
2012 MW Play4Kay Dates
Air Force - Feb. 25 vs. UNLV
Boise State - Feb. 22 vs. UNLV
Colorado State - Feb. 11 vs. TCU
New Mexico - Feb. 25 vs. TCU
San Diego State - Feb. 11 vs. UNLV
TCU - Feb. 4 vs. San Diego State
UNLV - Feb. 18 vs. New Mexico
Wyoming - Feb. 11 vs. New Mexico
Pack the House Challenge ... The Pack the House Challenge was developed by the NCAA as a grassroots effort to increase attendance and awareness of collegiate women' basketball. The program is in its fifth year. Air Force, Colorado State, New Mexico, San Diego State, TCU and Wyoming posted their highest home game attendance marks at that point in the season on their Pack the House days. UNLV wraps up the Challenge on Saturday against New Mexico.
MW Pack the House Dates
Air Force - Jan. 25, 2012 vs. TCU - 2,507
Boise State - Feb. 11, 2012 vs. Air Force - 1,389
Colorado State - Feb. 11, 2012 vs. TCU - 1,950
New Mexico - Dec. 4, 2011 vs. New Mexico State - 7,551
San Diego State - Jan. 28, 2012 vs. Colorado State - 734
TCU - Dec. 18, 2011 vs. Texas A&M - 4,554
UNLV - Feb. 18, 2012 vs. New Mexico
Wyoming - Feb. 11, 2012 vs. New Mexico - 3,973
- On the slate this week ... Air Force (5-19, 0-9) hosts Wyoming on Wednesday before travelling to San Diego State on Saturday. Junior Alicia Leipprandt posted her best offensive effort of the season at Boise State, scoring 22 points on 8-of-11 shooting. It was her highest scoring game in Conference play. In two games against the Broncos, junior Dymond James has averaged 20.5 points and 8.5 rebounds. Sophomore Cherae Medina dished out a career-high six assists against BSU ... Boise State (13-11, 4-5) travels to Colorado State (Tuesday) and TCU (Saturday) this week for two televised games. The Broncos had their most ballanced offensive game of the season against Air Force on Saturday with six players scoring nine or more points. Senior Nicole Brady led the way with 16 ... Colorado State (11-13, 7-2) hosts Boise State on Tuesday before heading to Wyoming on Saturday for the second half of the Border War. Tuesday night's game will be televised on The Mtn. (DirecTV 616) with Mike Evans and Andrea Lloyd calling the action from Moby Arena. Senior Kim Mestdagh moved into fourth place in the CSU record book for career points when the 21 she had against TCU on Saturday bumped her up to 1,616 ... New Mexico (8-15, 2-7) hosts San Diego State on Wednesday, followed by a trip to the Thomas & Mack Center to play UNLV on Saturday. The Lobos earned their first Conference road win on Saturday at Wyoming, led by junior Caroline Durbin's 23 points. It was UNM's second come-from-behind win of the season ... San Diego State (18-5, 8-1) travels to New Mexico on Wednesday before hosting Air Force on Saturday. SDSU has at least 18 wins for the fourth time in the last five years after not doing so in the previous 10 campaigns. Junior Courtney Clements is just four points away from reaching 1,000 for her collegiate career (SDSU and Arizona) ... TCU (12-12, 5-4) travels to UNLV on Wednesday in a game that can break up the three-way tie for third place. The Horned Frogs host Boise State on Saturday on The Mtn. (DirecTV 616), a TCU production. Freshman Natalie Ventress brought TCU back to within one from a 16-point halftime deficit, scoring 12 points in the second frame against Colorado State on Saturday. Her 23 points was the fourth 20+ outing this season and matched her career-high. TCU is 19-5 in the final month of the season over the past three years. Since joining the MW, the Horned Frogs are 34-12 in the month of February ... UNLV (17-8, 5-4) stays home this week, but plays in two different venues. On Wednesday, the Lady Rebels host TCU in Cox Pavilion for a chance to break out of a three-way tie for third place. On Saturday, New Mexico will be the Lady Rebels guest in the Thomas & Mack Center in front of a MountainWest Sports Network audience (DirecTV 616). Tracy Warren and Krista Blunk will call the action from courtside ... Wyoming (9-13, 5-4) travels to Air Force on Wednesday, followed by the second half of the Border War with Colorado State in Laramie on Saturday. Three Cowgirls finished Saturday's New Mexico game in double-digits, led by junior Chaundra Sewell and freshman Kaitlyn Mileto with 15 each. Freshman Kayla Woodward had 13 points.
- Playing strong teams ... San Diego State earned a win over then-No. 18/18 DePaul, 82-74, on Friday, Nov. 18, the Aztecs first win over a Top 25 team since March 23, 2010 in the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament. TCU is the last MW team to earn a Top-25 win, Jan. 2, 2011 against then No. 15/14 Oklahoma, 76-69. MW teams played 47 opponents in non-conference portion of the season that made the postseason in 2010-11.
- Women's Basketball Weekly on The Mtn. ... The Mtn. - MountainWest Sports Network (DirecTV 616) is airing a new show, Women's Basketball Weekly, on Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. MT. The program recaps women's basketball action from around the Conference, plus player features, game breakdowns and a look at upcoming games.
- Mountain West Women's Basketball on Twitter ... Follow your favorite Mountain West women's basketball teams and catch up on news from around the league on Twitter at @MW_WHoops.
This Week In Mountain West Women's Basketball Game Time TV/Webcast FEBRUARY 14 (TUESDAY) * BOISE STATE at COLORADO STATE 7:30 p.m. MT The Mtn. FEBRUARY 15 (WEDNESDAY) * WYOMING at AIR FORCE 7 p.m. MT GoAirForceFalcons.com * SAN DIEGO STATE at NEW MEXICO 7 p.m. MT GoLobos.com * TCU at UNLV 7 p.m. PT FEBRUARY 18 (SATURDAY) * BOISE STATE at TCU 12 p.m. CT The Mtn./TCU * COLORADO STATE at WYOMING 2 p.m. MT WyomingAthletics.com * AIR FORCE at SAN DIEGO STATE 2 p.m. PT GoAztecs.com * NEW MEXICO at UNLV
Thomas & Mack Center
3:30 p.m. PT The Mtn. Legend * = Mountain West game The Mtn. = MountainWest Sports Network DirecTV 616 CBSSN = CBS Sports Network DirecTV 613 Live stats available for most games.