Mountain West Women's Basketball Weekly Release - Feb. 28, 2012
Feb. 28, 2012
- SDSU wins first outright Mountain West title ... The Aztecs earned a share of the 2011-12 MW regular season title on Feb. 21 with a 68-55 win over Wyoming in Laramie and earned it outright on Feb. 22 when New Mexico beat Colorado State, 53-45. San Diego State shared the regular season title in 2008-09 with former MW member Utah.
- Tiebreaker Scenarios for No. 2-5 seeds ... With just one game left in the regular season, four seeds for the 2012 Conoco Mountain West Women's Basketball Championship, being held next week at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, are up for grabs. San Diego State (11-2) has the No. 1 seed, while Boise State (5-8) is No. 6, New Mexico (3-10) is No. 7 and Air Force (0-13) is No. 8.
Colorado State (9-4), UNLV (9-4), TCU (8-5) and Wyoming (7-6) will have to wait until they have played to find out their seeds. Wyoming is at TCU on Tuesday, Feb. 28 at 6:30 p.m. CT to determine the No. 4 and 5 seeds. The game will be televised on The Mtn. with Ann Schatz and Andrea Lloyd calling the action from Daniel-Meyer Coliseum. Colorado State travels to UNLV on Wednesday, Feb. 29 at 7 p.m. PT to determine the No. 2 and 3 seeds
1. If UNLV and Wyoming win - 2. UNLV (10-4), 3. Colorado State (9-5), 4. Wyoming (8-6), 5. TCU (8-6) - Wyoming would be 2-0 against TCU
2. If UNLV and TCU win - 2. UNLV (10-4), 3. Colorado State (9-5), 4. TCU (9-5), 5. Wyoming (7-7) - CSU vs. TCU would be 1-1; both are 1-1 vs. SDSU; tie break would be vs. UNLV where CSU is 1-1 and TCU is 0-2
3. If CSU and Wyoming win - 2. Colorado State (10-4), 3. UNLV (9-5), 4. Wyoming (8-6), 5. TCU (8-6) - Wyoming would be 2-0 against TCU
4. If CSU and TCU win - 2. Colorado State (10-4), 3. UNLV (9-5), 4. TCU (9-5), 5. Wyoming (7-7) - UNLV would be 2-0 against TCU
- Durbin named Capital One Academic All-American ... New Mexico junior Caroline Durbin was named to the Capital One Academic All-America Division I Team on Feb. 23. A business major with concentration in finance and accounting, Durbin has the highest grade point average on the list of 15 recipients with a 4.16.
- On the slate this week ... Air Force (5-23, 0-13) hosts New Mexico in the final game of the regular season on Wednesday. Senior Jamela Satterfield will have the opportunity on her Senior Night to tie the Falcons' all-time record for career games played, a record of 118 that was set last season by Raimee Beck. In the last meeting against UNM, Satterfield tied a career-high with 14 points ... Boise State (14-14, 5-8) wraps up its first regular season in the MW at San Diego State on Wednesday. The Bronco seniors had a Senior Day to remember as BSU rallied from 13 points down to beat Wyoming, 61-53. It was the Bronco's first win over an MW team ranked ahead of them in the standings ... Colorado State (13-15, 9-4) travels to UNLV on Wednesday to battle for the No. 2 seed in the 2012 Conoco MW Championship next week. The Rams came up with a big Senior Day win on Feb. 25, 68-65, against San Diego State. For the first time since 2002-03, CSU was undefeated at Moby Arena in conference play (7-0). CSU's nine MW wins are the most for the program since 2001-02 ... New Mexico (9-18, 3-10) wraps up the regular season at Air Force on Wednesday. Senior Porche Torrance took over second place on the UNM career blocked shots list with two against TCU on Feb. 25. She has 145 going into the week ... San Diego State (21-6, 11-2) wraps up the regular season hosting Boise State on Wednesday. With the regular season title in hand, SDSU as earned the No. 1 seed in the MW tournament for the first time in program history. The title is the fifth SDSU league title in program history, all coming under the leadership of head coach Beth Burns ... TCU (15-13, 8-5) hosts Wyoming on Tuesday night to determine the No. 4 and 5 seeds in next week's league tournament. The game, televised on The Mtn. (DirecTV 616), will be Senior Night for Antoinette Thompson. The Horned Frogs had three players score in double figures on Feb. 25, led by Natalie Ventress with 18, in TCU's third-ver win at The Pit in Albuquerque ... UNLV (21-8, 9-4) will host Colorado State on Wednesday night to break the current tie for second place. The winner earns the No. 2 seed in the MW tournament next week. Senior Jamie Smith is four rebounds away from the UNLV career rebound record set by Linda Fröhlich of 1,124. UNLV has reached 20 wins in a season for the first time since 2003-04 and for only the third time in the last 20 years. The Lady Rebels take a four-game win streak into the regular season finale ... Wyoming (11-15, 7-6) travels to TCU for the regular season closer on The Mtn. (DirecTV 616). It will be the 20th meeting between the two teams. TCU leads the series, 11-8. The winner of the game will be the No. 4 seed in the MW Championship tournament next week in Las Vegas.
- Women's Basketball Weekly on The Mtn. ... The Mtn. - MountainWest Sports Network (DirecTV 616) is airing a new show, Women's Basketball Weekly, on Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. MT. The program recaps women's basketball action from around the Conference, plus player features, game breakdowns and a look at upcoming games.
- Mountain West Women's Basketball on Twitter ... Follow your favorite Mountain West women's basketball teams and catch up on news from around the league on Twitter at @MW_WHoops.
|This Week In Mountain West Women's Basketball|
|Game||Time||TV/Webcast||FEBRUARY 28 (TUESDAY)|
|* WYOMING at TCU||6:30 p.m. CT||The Mtn.||FEBRUARY 29 (WEDNESDAY)|
|* NEW MEXICO at AIR FORCE||7 p.m. MT||GoAirForceFalcons.com|
|* BOISE STATE at SAN DIEGO STATE||7 p.m. PT||GoAztecs.com|
|* COLORADO STATE at UNLV||7 p.m. PT|
|* = Mountain West game|
|The Mtn. = MountainWest Sports Network||DirecTV 616|
|CBSSN = CBS Sports Network||DirecTV 613|
|Live stats available for most games.|