Game notes: CSU renews in-state rivalry at Colorado
Dec. 3, 2012
Colorado State at Colorado | Game 7
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||COLORADO BUFFALOES|
Colorado State (2-4) travels 56 miles south to Boulder, to face the Buffaloes (6-0) at the Coors Events Center (11,064) Wednesday. Tipoff is set for 5:50 p.m. MT.
Wednesday's matchup is Part 1 of double-header with the men's teams. The men will tip-off at approximately 8:30, or 30 minutes following the conclusion of the women's game.
Five out of the Rams' first seven games have been against opponents who've competed in the postseason in 2012. Colorado is no exception, advancing to the Elite Eight of the Women's National Inviation Tournament last year.
With the return of two-time all-conference selection, Sam Martin, and the reigning Mountain West Sixth Player of the Year, Meghan Heimstra, the Rams will look to improve upon last season's 13-17 record. Sophomore LaDeyah Forte leads Colorado State from the point guard position. She finished second in assist-to-turnover ratio in the MW in her rookie year.
The game will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fourth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available via Rams All-Access subscription on CSURams.com, and for the first time, fans will be able to listen to every Rams' game for free on Rams All-Access.
Scouting Report on Colorado...
- CU is one of 19 NCAA Division-I teams still undefeated this season. The Buffaloes are 6-0 on the year with home wins over San Diego State (67-53) and MW-leader, Wyoming (68-59).
- The Buffs plus-10.3 rebounding margin ranks 19th in the nation. The team also excels in field-goal percentage, ranking 33rd (.446) and scoring margin at 43rd (14.2).
- Freshman Arielle Roberson is shooting an impressive 60.3 from the field, ranking 19th in the country. She earned her third Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honor, Monday, after shooting a combined 72.0 percent vs. Wyoming and Illinois, and claiming a career-high 25 points at the Illini last week.
- Down by eight early in the second half, the Buffaloes followed the coattails of Roberson's 25 points for a 69-62 win over Illinois Saturday at Assembly Hall. Jen Reese registered 15 points, while Jasmine Sborov added 11, and Chucky Jeffery led the team with eight boards.
- Colorado's top two starters, Roberson and Jeffery lead the team in scoring and rebounds with 18.5 points and 7.0 board per game, respectively. Jen Reese is third on the list coming off the bench averaging 10.0 points and 6.0 rebounds per matchup.
- The Buffaloes do not favor the three-point shot, averaging just 3.5 treys per game.
Series vs. the Buffaloes...
Wednesay's meeting between Colorado State and Colorado will be the 43rd game between the two schools. This is Head Coach Ryun Williams second contest vs. the Buffaloes and the first at the Coors Events Center.
The Rams are 11-31 vs. Colorado overall, with a 2-20 record in Boulder. CSU's last win vs. CU was on Dec. 12, 2009 and the last victory in Buffalo territory was on Dec. 6, 2000.
Last time vs. Colorado...
The Colorado State women's basketball team lost to the Colorado Buffaloes, 72-53, Nov. 20, 2011 at Moby Arena.
Junior Meghan Heimstra scored the first point of the game, but the Rams didn't score again until 10 minutes later. The Buffaloes started the game on an 18-2 run, and their biggest lead of the night was 21.
The Rams never gave up, but their shots wouldn't go in. They shot 19-for-49 from the floor, while Colorado shot 28-for-57. The Buffaloes out rebounded the Rams, 37-28. Colorado scored 25 points off of the Rams' 21 turnovers, while the Rams scored nine off of the Buffaloes 19 turnovers.
Mestdagh scored 19 points and recorded four assists. Martin fouled out with 9:39 remaining in the second half, finishing with five points. Heimstra ended up with eight rebounds and nine points.