Rebels To Play In NCAA West Regional
April 29, 2013
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) - UNLV women's golf will be the No. 15 seed at the NCAA’s West Regional, which will be played at Stanford Golf Course in Stanford, Calif., beginning Thursday, May 9, the NCAA announced Monday.
“We are very excited about playing in a regional again this season,” head coach Amy Bush said. “Staying west is good for us because we have the ability of playing in the same time zone and we get to play on a beautiful course. As a coaching staff we have a lot of experience on the Stanford Golf Course.”
The invitation marks the Rebels' 11th straight appearance in a NCAA Regional.
“Making a NCAA Regional 11 straight years shows that we are establishing some tradition in our program,” Bush said. “We have proven we can make it some regional’s and are competitive on the national scale.”
Three 54-hole regional tournaments will be conducted May 9-11. 24 teams and six individuals not on those teams will compete at each of three regionals. The low eight teams and low two individuals not on those teams from each regional will advance to the finals to make up the 24 qualifying teams and six individuals not on those teams that will compete for the NCAA title.
The other two regional sites are the East Regional at the Auburn University Club in Auburn, Ala. And the Central Regional at the Jimmy Austin OU Golf Club in Norman, Okla.
The 2013 NCAA Division I Women's Golf Championship finals will be conducted May 21-24 at the University of Georgia Golf Course in Athens, Ga. The University of Georgia is the host institution for this year’s championship.
In its last outing, UNLV won its fourth Mountain West championship and its first since 2006. Dana Finkelstein was named the MW Golfer of the Year and Bush was named MW Coach of the Year. Four Rebels were named an All-Mountain West team after the final round of the championship. Finkelstein earned first team honors, while Charlotte Brooks, Demi Mak and Mayko Chwen Wang were named to the second team. Mak tied for first in the MW Championship, but lost in a playoff hole.
Listed below are the teams and individuals selected to participate in the West Regional. Teams winning automatic qualification are designated by their conferences in parenthesis.
WEST REGIONAL – May 9-11
Stanford Golf Course – Stanford, Calif.
Hosted by Stanford University
1. University of Southern California (Pac-12 Conference)
2. University of Arizona
3. Vanderbilt University
4. Purdue University
5. Stanford University
6. University of Georgia
7. Baylor University
8. Texas A&M University, College Station
9. Pepperdine University (West Coast Conference)
10. Louisiana State University
11. University of Denver (Western Athletic Conference)
12. University of South Carolina, Columbia
13. The Ohio State University
14. University of Oregon
15. UNLV (Mountain West)
16. University of California, Berkeley
17. Florida State University
18. University of Miami (Florida)
19. San Jose State University
20. Harvard University (The Ivy League)
21. Kent State University (Mid-American Conference)
22. Northern Arizona University (Big Sky Conference)
23. North Dakota State University (The Summit League)
24. Long Island University (Northeast Conference)
1. Laura Wearn, Furman University
2. Jennifer Coleman, University of Colorado, Boulder
3. Sammi Stevens, University of New Mexico
4. A Ram Choi, Portland State University
5. Luciane Lee, University of California, Irvine
6. Michelle Park, University of California, Irvine