SDSU's Jurado Nets Game-Winner in 1-0 Double OT Win

Aug. 17, 2012

Final Stats

SAN DIEGO - The San Diego State women's soccer team opened its 2012 campaign with a 1-0 double-overtime victory against SMU on Friday evening. The contest was the first for both teams as they kicked off the new season at the SDSU Sports Deck.

Both teams held each other scoreless in the opening half as the Aztecs held a 3-1 advantage in shots. SDSU's first good chance came in the 26th minute when Megan Jurado nearly connected on a shot, but the senior was unsuccessful as Mustangs' goalkeeper Lauren Bodden tallied the first save of the game.

The Aztecs had another opportunity of getting on the scoreboard when sophomore Mariah Helmer found herself one-on-one with the goalkeeper, but her shot just missed as it hit the left post with 6:24 remaining in the first half.

SMU's lone shot of the first 45 minutes, meanwhile, came in the final seconds of the period. Despite the half officially being over, the referee decided to give SMU a free kick with no time remaining on the clock. The Mustangs were unsuccessful though, as SDSU goalkeeper Rachel Boaz prevented Courtney Smith from connecting on her shot attempt.

It was much of the same defensive battle in the second half, with the first shot being tallied in the 67th minute by junior Carli Johnson. After a long stretch without any scoring, the Aztecs put SMU's defense to the test with three consecutive shot attempts late in the half.

Sophomore Kelsey Booth was first to tally an attempt with 8:15 remaining, but Bodden blocked her shot. Senior Sarah Halverson then tried to connect, but her shot was wide at the 82nd minute. Sophomore Haley Locker attempted to give the Aztecs the lead three minutes later, but her try went wide left.

SMU was then given an opportunity to win the game, but Boaz prevented Olivia Elliot from connecting on a shot and the game ultimately went into overtime.

In the first overtime period, it continued to be a defensive battle with SDSU tallying the lone shot. Junior Jensen Skinner nearly won it for the Aztecs, but Bodden came through with another save to keep the Mustangs in the game.

SDSU tallied its first shot of the second overtime period in the opening minute, as Booth nearly connected on a header shot that went wide.

The Aztecs finally found the back of the net in the 104th minute when Halverson and Johnson assisted Jurado on a shot from 12 yards out to give SDSU the win.

For the game, the Aztecs outshot SMU 10-2 (3-2 shots on goal), and won the corner kick battle, 4-2. Boaz tallied two saves in playing 104:18 in goal, while Bodden also had two saves.

SDSU returns to action on Sunday as it takes on Arizona State. First tap is set for 1 p.m. at the SDSU Sports Deck.