Mountain West Women's Soccer Weekly Release No. 5
Sept. 11, 2012
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -
San Diego State climbed to No. 15 and 16, respectively, in the latest NSCAA and Soccer America rankings. The Aztecs will square off against a pair of Top 25 opponents when they meet up with No. 5/4 Stanford and No. 24 Santa Clara this weekend in the Santa Clara Tournament.
- No. 15/16 San Diego State is one of seven undefeated (and untied) teams nationally (Florida State 6-0-0; Iowa 8-0-0; Mississippi 7-0-0; Mississippi State 7-0-0; Virginia Tech 8-0-0; Washington 7-0-0).
- Air Force and San Diego State have each held six of their seven opponents scoreless this season and are tied for second nationally with an .857 shutout percentage, trailing only Virginia (.875, 7-of-8).
- San Diego State leads the nation with a .139 goals-against average, surrendering just one goal in 645:16 minutes. Air Force ranks fifth on that same list, giving up just two goals over 688.19 minutes for a .262 GAA. The Mountain West and ACC (North Carolina, Virginia Tech) account for four of the nation's top five teams in that category.
- San Diego State boasts the nation's top saves percentage at .955, giving up one goal against 21 saves this season. Air Force is tied with Washington for second, surrendering two goals to 37 saves for a .950 percentage.
- San Diego State opened with six consecutive shutouts before surrendering a goal in a 2-1 win over Iowa State on Sunday. The Aztecs are off to their best start in program history at 7-0-0.
- After netting just one goal in its first four matches, New Mexico has exploded for 10 in its last four outings, going 3-1 during that span.
- UNLV has won four straight, marking its first four-match win streak since the 2007 campaign. The 2012 Rebels have scored 15 goals through eight matches, compared to just five for last year's squad over its first eight contests.
- Wyoming ran its win streak to a program-record six matches with a 2-0 victory over Northern Colorado last Thursday before having the stretch end with Sunday's 3-2 loss to Washington State.
- San Diego State's Rachel Boaz has played all 645:16 minutes in goal for the Aztecs this season and ranks second nationally with a .139 goals-against average. Air Force GK Kelly Stambaugh is ninth on that same list, giving up two scores over 671:11 minutes played (.268). The duo also ranks in the Top 5 of the NCAA's list for saves percentage. Boaz has given up one goal against 20 saves and is third with a .952 percentage, while Stambaugh has surrendered two goals to 37 saves and is fourth with a .949 percentage.
- San Diego State's Megan Jurado has recorded game-winning goals in four of the Aztecs' seven contests this season, tying for second-most nationally. UNLV's Jenn Wolfe has three game-winners, tying her for seventh in the country. Furman's Stephanie Devia leads the NCAA with five game-winning scores.
- Wolfe leads the MW and is tied for sixth nationally with seven total goals in 2012. Wolfe's nine goals ties her for ninth-most by a Rebel in a single season.
- Wyoming's Sara Paul is tied for sixth nationally with a league-leading six assists in 2012. UNLV's Macy Jo Harrison has five assists to tie for 10th on that same list.
|Coming Up in Mountain West Women's Soccer|
|Match||Time||TV / Webstream|
|FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 14|
|UNLV vs. San Jose State (1)||4 p.m. PT|
|Colorado at WYOMING||4 p.m. MT|
|No. 15/16 SAN DIEGO STATE vs. No. 4/3 Stanford (2)||5 p.m. PT||SantaClaraBroncos.com|
|Nebraska-Omaha at BOISE STATE (3)||6 p.m. MT||BroncoSports.com|
|Colgate at AIR FORCE||7 p.m. MT|
|Weber State at NEVADA||7 p.m. PT||NevadaWolfPack.com|
|FRESNO STATE at Texas||8 p.m. CT||Longhorn Network|
|SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 16|
|UNLV vs. Florida Gulf Coast (1)||10 a.m. PT|
|FRESNO STATE at No. 7/9 Oklahoma State||Noon CT||OKState.com|
|Utah Valley at WYOMING||Noon MT|
|AIR FORCE at Colorado||1 p.m. MT||Pac-12 Network|
|SAN DIEGO STATE at No. 24 Santa Clara (2)||1:30 p.m. PT||SantaClaraBroncos.com|
|Utah at BOISE STATE (3)||2 p.m. MT||BroncoSports.com|
|New Mexico State at NEW MEXICO||4 p.m. MT||GoLobos.com|
|*Mountain West match.|
|(1) High Altitude Tournament (Flagstaff, Ariz.)|
|(2) Santa Clara Tournament (Santa Clara, Calif.)|
|(3) Soccer Etc./Nike Classic (Boise, Idaho)|
|Mountain West teams in CAPS.|
|Rankings listed according to NSCAA-Continental Tire Coaches'/Soccer America Top 25 polls.|
|All dates and times subject to change.|
|Live stats available for most matches.|