SDSU Women's Soccer Opens MW Play Vs. Nevada
Sept. 26, 2012
SAN DIEGO --
Game Week Reset
Nevada (4-5-1) at No. 12/17/13 San Diego State (9-1-1)
Friday, Sept. 28 | 7 p.m. PT | SDSU Sports Deck
Aztec Story Lines
- No. 12/17/13 San Diego State is set to open Mountain West action with a matchup against Nevada on Friday. The conference tilt is scheduled for a 7 p.m. PT start at the SDSU Sports Deck.
- SDSU, which is No. 23 in TopDrawerSoccer.com's field of 64, is coming off a 2-0 weekend as it tallied victories against UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara.
- Then in Sunday's contest with UCSB, Jurado notched the game-winner for SDSU at the 33:06 mark after having also scored in the 28th minute as SDSU was victorious, 3-1. Freshman Victoria Barba also scored in the contest for her first collegiate goal.
- San Diego State moved up to No. 12 in the most recent National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll, while the Aztecs are No. 17 in the Soccer America rankings and No. 13 in the Soccer Times poll. SDSU is the lone team from the Mountain West in all three polls.
- The last time the Aztecs were No. 12 in the NSCAA poll was when they started the 1998 season with the same ranking. That season, SDSU was champions of the Western Athletic Conference and advanced to the third round of the NCAA Tournament.
- SDSU is also ranked No. 12 in College Soccer 360's most recent Composite National Rankings (CNR) after being 15th a week ago.
- The first Ratings Percentage Index of the 2012 women's soccer season was released on Tuesday and the Aztecs lead the Mountain West with an RPI of 8. The only other MW teams in the top 100 are New Mexico and UNLV with RPI's of 80 and 86, respectively.
- The Aztecs head into MW play with a 9-1-1 record, tying for the 10th-best win percentage (.864) in the NCAA.
- In head coach Mike Friesen's tenure on Montezuma Mesa, SDSU has only lost its conference opener on one occasion. That was in 2008 when the Aztecs dropped a close 2-1 decision to UNLV.
- San Diego State, which is also ranked No. 3 in the NSCAA Pacific Region poll, ranks 11th in the nation with a 0.53 goals-against average. The Aztecs have only surrendered six goals in 1025:16 minutes.
- Boaz has played 1001:49 minutes in goal for the Aztecs this season. She ranks 12th in the nation with a .449 goals-against average, making 35 saves while surrendering only five goals.
- Megan Jurado has recorded game-winning goals in five of San Diego State's 11 contests this season, tying for second-most nationally.
- On the season, Jurado leads the Aztecs with seven goals along with three assists for a team-high 17 points. The senior has also started all 11 contests and is one of just five to do so.
- Junior Carli Johnson is the only Aztec to have played all 1025:16 on the year. In 2012, she has tallied one goal along with one assist for three points.
- SDSU enters Friday's match having only faced Nevada on two prior occasions. The Aztecs won both of those contests. The most recent was a 3-1 win in San Diego in Sept. 2003, while the other was a 5-1 victory in Oct. 2002 in Reno, Nev.
Nevada (4-5-1) are coming off a 3-0 setback to No. 15 California on Sunday... Prior to that, the Wolf Pack defeated Weber State in overtime, 3-2, on Sept. 2... The Aztecs will be the highest ranked opponent Nevada has faced as a program... The Wolf Pack have been led by Chrisalyn Fonte as the sophomore has scored five goals this season.