Mountain West Women's Soccer Weekly Release No. 8
Oct. 2, 2012
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -
San Diego State, New Mexico and Fresno State are the early leaders in the race for the 2012 Mountain West regular-season crown after opening Conference play with victories last week. Friday's action has No. 10/14 SDSU visiting Boise State, while Air Force plays host to UNLV. Wyoming entertains Fresno State in Saturday's lone contest, while Sunday's slate has New Mexico at Nevada and SDSU making a non-conference trip to Portland.
- New Mexico head coach Kit Vela became the fourth MW coach to reach 100 career wins with Friday's victory over Boise State. The Lobos also extended their unbeaten streak in Conference play to 15 games (11-0-4), dating back to the 2009 season.
- UNLV extended its unbeaten streak to eight matches after finishing with a 0-0 double-overtime tie with Wyoming last Saturday. The Rebels had won a school-record seven consecutive contests heading into the match with the Cowgirls.
- San Diego State owns a 10-1-1 record, marking the seventh-best win percentage (.875) in the NCAA this season.
- Wyoming has played in three straight overtime contests, posting a win (4-3 vs. Utah Valley) and two straight ties (1-1 at Utah State and 0-0 at UNLV). The last time the Cowgirls registered two consecutive draws was in 2010 (1-1 ties with New Mexico and Air Force).
- Fresno State goalkeeper Katie DeVault set a new school record with 13 saves in a 3-2 overtime loss to No. 25 Santa Clara last Thursday. DeVault has 84 saves on the season and is tied for sixth nationally with USC Upstate's Sarah Plantz.
- New Mexico's 1-0 win over Boise State last Friday marked the Lobos' fourth consecutive shutout. Senior Kelli Cornell has played all 1111:38 minutes in goal for UNM this season and is riding a 402:06 shutout streak heading into this week's action. She has 44 wins and 38 shutouts for her career.
- San Diego State goalkeeper Rachel Boaz ranks ninth nationally with a .418 goals-against-average. She has surrendered just five goals in 1076:37 minutes of action.
- San Diego State's Megan Jurado and UNLV's Jenn Wolfe are tied for the MW lead and third nationally with five game-winning goals apiece this season.
- Wyoming's Sara Paul has 10 assists through 12 matches, tying with Dayton's Colleen Williams for the national lead.
|Coming Up in Mountain West Women's Soccer|
|FRIDAY, OCTOBER 5|
|NO. 10/14 SAN DIEGO STATE at BOISE STATE*||4 p.m. MT||Live Stream|
|UNLV at AIR FORCE*||6 p.m. MT|
|SATURDAY, OCTOBER 6|
|FRESNO STATE at WYOMING*||11 a.m. MT|
|SUNDAY, OCTOBER 7|
|NEW MEXICO at NEVADA*||1 p.m. PT||Live Stream|
|NO. 10/14 SAN DIEGO STATE at Portland||1 p.m. PT||Live stream|
|*Mountain West match.|
|Mountain West teams in CAPS.|
|Rankings listed according to NSCAA-Continental Tire Coaches'/Soccer America Top 25 polls.|
|All dates and times subject to change.|
|Live stats available for most matches.|