Air Force Hosts UNLV
Oct. 3, 2012
Friday, Oct. 5, 6 p.m. @ Cadet Soccer Stadium - USAFA
Live Stats: goAirForceFalcons.com
Free admission for all Air Force soccer home matches.
Air Force Hosts UNLV
Air Force women's soccer plays host to UNLV this Friday, Oct. 5. Kickoff is at 6 p.m. Free admission for all Air Force soccer home matches.
Air Force returns 16 letterwinners and eight starters. The Falcons welcome 11 newcomers. Air Force returns three of its top four scorers from last season, including leading 2011 scorer in sophomore midfielder McKenna Fox.
Air Force went 6-10-3 and finished fifth in the Mountain West Conference in 2011. The Falcons graduated four seniors, all starters.
Air Force lost its Mountain West opener at Fresno State, 3-0, last Sunday.
Senior forward Stephanie Patterson leads the Falcons in scoring with five goals and 10 points. Junior Kelly Stambaugh has a 0.77 goals against average in goal and has 52 saves in 1,051 minutes.
Falcons In School Top 10
Senior forward Stephanie Patterson and junior goalkeeper Kelly Stambaugh have entered Air Force's top 10 in a couple categories. Patterson has 42 career points, ranking seventh all-time. Her 12 career assists are sixth all-time. Stambaugh has AFA's lowest career GAA at 1.03. Her 14 shutouts are second and her 212 saves and 3,939 minutes are fourth.
Scouting The Opponent
UNLV enters the weekend with an 8-2-2 overall and 0-0-1 conference mark after a 0-0 tie with Wyoming last weekend. The Rebels feature the conference's leading scorer in forward Jenn Wolfe, who has nine goals and 19 points. Junior Kylie Wassell has a 1.03 GAA in front of the net.
- Larry Friend (USAFA 1985) is 22-37-9 in his fourth year as the head coach at Air Force.
- Michael Colle (Penn St. 1997) is in his first year as a head coach.
- UNLV has two players from Colorado. So. MF Erica Meier (Boulder - Longmont HS) and So. MF Denali Murnan (Arvada - Ralston Valley HS).
- Air Force soph. midfielder McKenna Fox and UNLV fr. defender Alyssa Meinzer were teammates at Lone Peak High School in Highland, Utah.
- Air Force soph. midfielder Felicia Sturgeon and UNLV fr. F/MF Alexis Peterson were teammates at Bountiful High School in Bountiful, Utah.
- Air Force is 4-13 all-time vs. UNLV.
- The Rebels have won 11 in a row in the series and have shut out the Falcons in 10 in a row.
- Air Force's last win over UNLV was in 2001.
Air Force plays its final two home matches next weekend, hosting Boise State and Nevada. The Boise State match is Friday, Oct. 12 and the Nevada tilt is Sunday, Oct. 14.