Aztecs Play Host To Wyoming, Air Force This Weekend
Oct. 17, 2012
SAN DIEGO --
Game Week Reset
Wyoming (7-6-2, 0-3-1) at No. 6 San Diego State (14-1-1, 4-0)
Friday, Oct. 19 | 7 p.m. PT | SDSU Sports Deck
Air Force (5-6-3, 0-4) at No. 6 San Diego State (14-1-1, 4-0)
Sunday, Oct. 21 | 12 p.m. PT | SDSU Sports Deck
- No. 6 San Diego State returns home on Friday when it plays host to Wyoming. The Mountain West contest is scheduled for a 7 p.m. PT start at SDSU Sports Deck. The Aztecs will then welcome Air Force on Sunday for AYSO Appreciation Day. The MW contest is set for a 12 p.m. PT start at SDSU Sports Deck.
- SDSU earned a 2-1 win against UNLV on Friday and a 3-1 victory over Fresno State on Sunday. The Aztecs are now 14-1-1, which marks the fourth-best win percentage (.906) in the NCAA this season.
- The fourth Ratings Percentage Index of the 2012 women's soccer season was released on Monday and the Aztecs lead the Mountain West with an RPI of 6. The only other MW teams in the top 100 are UNLV (83) and New Mexico (90).
- San Diego State is No. 6 in the most recent National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll. The Aztecs are also ranked No. 13 in the Soccer America rankings and No. 7 in the Soccer Times poll. SDSU is the lone team from the Mountain West in all three polls.
- The Aztecs were led by Megan Jurado this past weekend as the senior forward tallied the game-winning goal in both contests. Against UNLV, Jurado tallied an assist on junior midfielder Carli Johnson's goal and then scored the game-winner at the 54:13 mark. Against Fresno State, Jurado scored her first goal in the 54th minute and then tallied her seventh game-winner of the season at the 75:20 mark before adding an assist on senior forward Sarah Halverson's score.
- Jurado's success resulted in a number of honors, highlighted by garnering MW Offensive Player of the Week honors for the third time this season. She was also named TopDrawerSoccer.com Women's College Player of the Week and earned MW Player of the Week accolades from CollegeSportsMadness.com.
- On the season, Jurado leads SDSU with 12 goals and seven assists for a team-high 31 points. The senior has also started all 16 contests and is one of just five Aztecs to do so.
- In the NCAA rankings, Jurado is tied for second with seven game-winning goals this season. She is also tied for 11th in total points (31), T-14th in total goals (12), 16th in points-per-game (1.94) and T-21 in goals-per-game (0.75). In the Mountain West rankings, meanwhile, Jurado is ranked first in all of the above categories.
- Goalkeeper Rachel Boaz ranks 15th nationally with a .564 goals-against-average. The redshirt sophomore has surrendered just nine goals in 1436:37 minutes played this season.
- SDSU, which moved up to No. 16 in TopDrawerSoccer.com's field of 64, enters Friday's match leading the all-time series with Wyoming by a 11-2-1 margin. The Aztecs have won seven of the last eight against the Cowgirls and have outscored them by a 16-1 margin in those games.
- The Aztecs have also been successful against Air Force as they have gone 14-1-1. In the most recent matchup with the Falcons last Oct., SDSU earned a 1-0 overtime victory in Colorado Springs, Colo.
Wyoming (7-6-2, 0-3-1 in MW play) is coming off a weekend where it dropped consecutive Mountain West home contests by a one-goal margin... On Friday, the Cowgirls suffered a 1-0 setback to Nevada and then dropped a 1-0 double-overtime loss to Boise State on Sunday.
Air Force (5-6-3, 0-4 in conference play) also travels to Montezuma Mesa after suffering one-goal setbacks at home this past weekend... The Falcons dropped 1-0 decisions to Boise State on Friday and Nevada on Sunday.