Aztecs Set To Play Host To New Mexico
Oct. 24, 2012
Game Week Reset
New Mexico (10-5-2, 4-1-1) at No. 6 San Diego State (16-1-1, 6-0)
Friday, Oct. 26 | 7 p.m. PT | SDSU Sports Deck
Aztec Story Lines
- No. 6 San Diego State wraps up Mountain West play on Friday as it welcomes New Mexico for Senior Day. The conference matchup is scheduled for a 7 p.m. PT start at SDSU Sports Deck.
- SDSU earned a 3-1 win against Wyoming on Friday and a 3-0 shutout of Air Force on Sunday to win the 2012 MW regular season championship. The title is the second MW championship for SDSU (2009 MW Tournament champions) and it marks the fourth overall league crown in school history. The Aztecs were Western Athletic Conference champions during the 1995 and '98 seasons.
- The Aztecs are now 16-1-1 and 6-0 in MW play, which marks the fourth-best win percentage (.917) in the NCAA this season and the best record through 18 games in program history (previous was 15-2-1 in 1998). The 16 wins are also now the most in a season during head coach Mike Friesen's tenure on Montezuma Mesa, surpassing the 15 victories amassed by the 2009 MW Tournament championship squad.
- The fifth Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) of the 2012 women's soccer season was released on Monday and the Aztecs lead the Mountain West with an RPI of 6. The only other MW teams in the top 100 are UNLV (82) and New Mexico (87).
- San Diego State remained at No. 6 in the most recent National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll. The Aztecs moved up two spots to No. 11 in the Soccer America rankings and one spot to No. 6 in the Soccer Times poll. SDSU is the lone team from the Mountain West in all three polls.
- The Aztecs used a balanced scoring attack over the weekend as five different players tallied a goal. Leading the pack was Hannah Keane as the sophomore tallied two scores on Sunday against Air Force, including the game-winner at the 2:24 mark. Senior Megan Jurado also scored a goal against the Falcons. On Friday, meanwhile, Tiffany Hurst, Victoria Barba and Sarah Halverson each notched a score, highlighted by Barba scoring the game-winner on her second career goal.
- Hurst, who also tallied two assists on Sunday, picked up a number of conference player of the week accolades, highlighted by garnering MW Co-Offensive Player of the Week honors for the second in her career. Hurst also earned MW honors from TopDrawerSoccer.com and CollegeSportsMadness.com.
- On the season, Jurado leads SDSU with 13 goals and seven assists for a team-high 33 points. The senior has also started all 18 contests and is one of just five Aztecs to do so. - In the NCAA rankings, Jurado is tied for third with seven game-winning goals this season. She is also tied for 13th in total points (33), T-17th in total goals (13), 20th in points-per-game (1.83) and T-21 in goals-per-game (0.72). In the Mountain West rankings, meanwhile, Jurado is ranked first in all of the above categories.
- Goalkeeper Rachel Boaz ranks 16th nationally with a .573 goals-against-average. The redshirt sophomore has surrendered just 10 goals in 1571:37 minutes played this season.
- SDSU, which moved up to No. 13 in TopDrawerSoccer.com's field of 64, enters Friday's match leading the all-time series with New Mexico by a 7-5-7 margin. In the most recent matchup with the Lobos in San Diego last Sept., SDSU played to a 0-0 double overtime tie.
New Mexico (10-5-2, 4-1-1 in MW play) is coming off a weekend where it picked up consecutive Mountain West victories at home... On Friday, the Lobos defeated Air Force, 1-0, and then earned a 2-1 win against Wyoming on Sunday.
A Look Ahead At The MW Tournament
The Aztecs are set to host the 2012 Mountain West Tournament at SDSU Sports Deck. The quarterfinals are Oct. 31, followed by the semis on Nov. 2. Two games will be held each day at 4 and 7 p.m. The championship, meanwhile, is set for a 1 p.m. start on Nov. 4.