Mountain West Softball Weekly Release - Feb. 15, 2012
Feb. 15, 2012
|Got a question for the Mountain West? Send it to Mick@TheMWC.com.|
New Mexico looks to improve on its season-opening five-game win streak when the Lobos host the UNM Lobo Classic this weekend. Boise State will head to the Campbell Cartier Classic, co-hosted by San Diego State and San Diego, while UNLV hosts the Louisville Slugger Desert Classic. Colorado State travels to Las Cruces, N.M., for the Troy Cox Classic, hosted by New Mexico State.
- Boise State hurlers pitched 20 consecutive shutout innings to open the 2012 campaign...Senior Aubray Zell has yet to allow a run in 19 innings this season, throwing two complete-game shutouts and five scoreless innings in a third start at the Aggie Stampede last weekend...Sophomore transfer Tara Glover leads the league with a 15-game hitting streak that dates back to her freshman campaign at Utah in 2011.
- The Colorado State offense racked up 20 runs on its first day of competition at the Texas Classic over the weekend, with 10 apiece against UTSA and Cal State Fullerton...The Rams' 2012 roster includes five freshmen, with four of them recording hits while combining for eight RPI during tournament play.
- With a 5-0 performance at last weekend's Kajikawa Classic, New Mexico is off to its best start since the 1993 squad opened with a 6-0 record...UNM, who defeated No. 16/11 Oregon in its season opener on Friday, was one of two teams (Washington) to finish tournament play with a perfect record...Junior Kaela DeBroeck made appearances in all five of the Lobos' games last weekend, pitching her way to a perfect 4-0 mark.
- San Diego State posted a 3-3 record at the Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Ariz., squaring off against five 2011 NCAA Tournament participants and three current top-25 opponents...One of the Aztecs' three wins was a 3-2 decision No. 23 Georgia Tech on Saturday...After missing last season with a broken leg, sophomore Patrice Jackson opened the 2012 campaign in solid fashion, going 10-for-20 at the plate with seven RBI, three runs scored and three home runs over a six-game span.
- UNLV went 2-2 at its own SportCo Kickoff Classic over the weekend with wins against Minnesota and Cal State Bakersfield...Five of the Rebels' runs in Sunday's 6-2 victory over CSUB came courtesy of the long ball, as Pauline Monreal recorded four RBI off two homers, while Samantha Juarez' first career home run was a solo shot.
- Boise State sophomore Devon Bridges has been named to the USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year Watch List. Bridges is the only student-athlete from the Mountain West among the 50 players listed and one of just eight sophomores to make the cut. The USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year award is the most prestigious individual honor in NCAA Division I Softball. The 25 finalists for the 2012 award will be announced April 11. The list will be whittled down to 10 (May 9) and three (May 23), before the player of the year is announced May 29, prior to the start of the Women's College World Series in Oklahoma City.
- A voting panel of the five Mountain West head softball coaches chose San Diego State as the favorite to win the 2012 MW regular-season title. The Aztecs collected four first-place votes and 16 total points. UNLV was a close second with 13 points and one first-place vote, while MW newcomer Boise State was picked third, totaling nine points. New Mexico received eight points for fourth place in the poll, while Colorado State rounded out the preseason rankings with four points.
|Coming Up in Mountain West Softball|
|THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 16|
|Memphis at UNLV (1)||6:15 p.m. PT|
|FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 17|
|COLORADO STATE vs. Stephen F. Austin (3)||9:30 a.m. MT|
|BOISE STATE vs. UC Santa Barbara (2)||10 a.m. PT|
|COLORADO STATE vs. No. 24/22 Nebraska (3)||2 p.m. MT|
|Notre Dame at SAN DIEGO STATE (2)||2 p.m. PT|
|BOISE STATE vs. No. 12/8 UCLA (2)||3 p.m. PT|
|DePaul at UNLV (1)||3:45 p.m. PT|
|Central Arkansas at NEW MEXICO (4)||5 p.m. MT|
|Idaho State at UNLV (1)||6 p.m. PT|
|Bryant at NEW MEXICO (4)||7 p.m. MT|
|Oregon State at SAN DIEGO STATE (2)||7 p.m. PT|
|SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 18|
|UCF at SAN DIEGO STATE (2)||1 p.m. PT|
|Ohio State at UNLV (1)||1:30 p.m. PT|
|UC Davis at SAN DIEGO STATE (2)||3:30 p.m. PT|
|COLORADO STATE at New Mexico State (3)||4 p.m. MT|
|BOISE STATE at San Diego (2)||4:30 p.m. PT|
|Northern Colorado at NEW MEXICO (4)||5 p.m. MT|
|COLORADO STATE vs. Weber State (3)||6 p.m. MT|
|Central Arkansas at NEW MEXICO (4)||7 p.m. MT|
|BOISE STATE vs. No. 7/9 Washington (2)||7 p.m. PT|
|SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 19|
|BOISE STATE vs. Notre Dame (2)||9 a.m. PT|
|Purdue at NEW MEXICO (4)||1 p.m. MT|
|COLORADO STATE at New Mexico State (3)||1:30 p.m. MT|
|Hawai'i at UNLV (1)||1:30 p.m. PT|
|No. 12/8 UCLA at SAN DIEGO STATE (2)||2 p.m. PT|
|* - Mountain West game.|
|CAPS denotes Mountain West team.|
|(1) Louisville Slugger Desert Classic (Las Vegas, Nev.)|
|(2) Campbell/Cartier Classic (San Diego, Calif.)|
|(3) Troy Cox Classic (Las Cruces, N.M.)|
|(4) UNM Lobo Classic (Albuquerque, N.M.)|
|The Mtn. - The MountainWest Sports Network||DirecTV 616|
|CBSSN - CBS Sports Network||DirecTV 613|
|Rankings listed according to USA Today-NFCA/ESPN.COM-USA Softball polls.|
|All dates and times subject to change.|
|Live stats available for most games.|