Mountain West Softball Weekly Release - Feb. 22, 2012
Feb. 22, 2012
|Got a question for the Mountain West? Send it to Mick@TheMWC.com.|
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - At 9-1 overall, New Mexico boasts the best record in the Mountain West heading into this week's action. Boise State is off to its best 10-game start at 7-3, while San Diego State is just behind the Broncos at 7-4.
- Boise State sophomore Mackenzie Whyte has yet to allow a baserunner to steal against her (0-for-3) in four outings behind the plate after playing all 53 games at shortstop as a freshman.
- All four of San Diego State's losses this season have been by one run. Three of those losses came against nationally-ranked teams (No. 14/9 Tennessee, No. 16/11 Oregon, No. 12/8 UCLA) while the fourth loss came against a Texas Tech squad that was receiving votes in both polls. Overall, the Aztecs are 3-4 in one-run contests this season.
- Boise State's Aubray Zell has issued only two walks to the last 232 batters she has faced, dating back to last season. In addition, opponents are just 2-for-22 (.091) against Zell with runners in scoring position.
- All three of Colorado State's wins this season have all come against left-handed pitchers.
- Boise State pitchers have thrown four shutouts this season. Prior to 2012, the Broncos had never held an opponent scoreless in the month of February. Three of those shutouts have come from Aubray Zell, one shy of the single-season school record she set last year.
- San Diego State opened the Campbell/Cartier Classic with four straight wins over Notre Dame, Oregon State, UCF and UC Davis before ending tournament play with a 1-0 loss to No. 12/8 UCLA on Sunday.
- In just its fourth year of existence, the Boise State softball program is off to the best start in school history at 7-3. The Broncos were 2-8 through 10 games each of the last two seasons, following a 5-5 start to their inaugural campaign in 2009.
- New Mexico ran its season-opening win streak to nine games before suffering a 10-6 loss to Purdue in its final game of the Lobo Classic on Sunday. The 9-0 start tied a school record.
- Colorado State recorded a season-high in runs en route to a 15-14, eight-inning victory over Weber State last Saturday at the Troy Cox Classic in Las Cruces, N.M.
- Boise State's Aubray Zell surrendered two runs in the first inning of a 4-1 loss to then-No. 12/8 UCLA last Friday at the Campbell/Cartier Classic in San Diego, Calif., ending her streak of 19 consecutive shutout innings to start the year.
- Boise State's Tara Glover owns a league-high 20-game hitting streak that dates back to her freshman campaign at Utah, recording multi-hit performances in seven of the Broncos' 10 games this season. Just 10 games into her Bronco career, the sophomore outfielder is already rewriting the school's record book. She has tied the school's single-season and career records with two triples, while her five stolen bases is tied for ninth on the program's single-season chart.
- Boise State's Christina Capobianco hit her 32nd career home run with a second-inning grand slam against UC Santa Barbara last Friday, tying the program's all-time record.
|Coming Up in Mountain West Softball|
|THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 23|
|NEW MEXICO vs. Texas A&M (1)||12:30 p.m. PT|
|BOISE STATE vs. Cal State Northridge (1)||3 p.m. PT|
|NEW MEXICO vs. Oregon State (1)||5:30 p.m. PT|
|COLORADO STATE vs. Long Beach State (1)||6 p.m. PT|
|SAN DIEGO STATE vs. Oklahoma (1)||6 p.m. PT|
|BOISE STATE vs. Cal State Fullerton (1)||8:30 p.m. PT|
|SAN DIEGO STATE vs. Texas (1)||8:30 p.m. PT|
|FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 24|
|COLORADO STATE vs. Iowa State (1)||10 a.m. PT|
|BOISE STATE vs. Oklahoma (1)||3:30 p.m. PT|
|BOISE STATE vs. Cal Poly (1)||6 p.m. PT|
|SAN DIEGO STATE vs. New Mexico State (1)||8 p.m. PT|
|NEW MEXICO vs. Cal State Fullerton (1)||8:30 p.m. PT|
|UNLV vs. Nevada (2)||Noon PT|
|UNLV vs. San Diego (2)||2:30 p.m. PT|
|SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 25|
|BOISE STATE vs. Florida (1)||9:30 a.m. PT|
|SAN DIEGO STATE vs. Iowa State (1)||10 a.m. PT|
|COLORADO STATE vs. Northwestern (1)||Noon PT|
|NEW MEXICO vs. UC Davis (1)||1 p.m. PT|
|UNLV at UC Santa Barbara (2)||9:30 a.m. PT|
|UNLV vs. Houston (2)||Noon PT|
|SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 26|
|COLORADO STATE vs. Ohio State (1)||9 a.m. PT|
|COLORADO STATE vs. Oregon State (1)||11 a.m. PT|
|NEW MEXICO vs. Cal Poly (1)||1 p.m. PT|
|SAN DIEGO STATE vs. Stanford (1)||1 p.m. PT|
|SAN DIEGO STATE vs. Cal State Northridge (1)||3 p.m. PT|
|UNLV vs. San Diego (2)||Noon PT|
|* - Mountain West game.|
|CAPS denotes Mountain West team.|
|(1) Cathedral City Classic (Cathedral City, Calif.)|
|(2) Gaucho Classic I (Santa Barbara, Calif.)|
|The Mtn. - The MountainWest Sports Network||DirecTV 616|
|CBSSN - CBS Sports Network||DirecTV 613|
|Rankings listed according to USA Today-NFCA/ESPN.COM-USA Softball polls.|
|All dates and times subject to change.|
|Live stats available for most games.|