Mountain West Softball Weekly Release - April 24, 2012
April 24, 2012
|Got a question for the Mountain West? Send it to Mick@TheMWC.com.|
San Diego State puts a seven-game win streak on the line Wednesday in a home outing against Cal State Fullerton. This weekend's Mountain West slate features New Mexico at Boise State and Colorado State at UNLV. Game 2 of the UNLV-CSU series will be televised live on The Mtn., while all three of the UNM-BSU games will be aired on The Mtn. on a tape-delayed basis.
- San Diego State's Hayley Miles was named the National Player of the Week by both the National Fastpitch Coaches Association and Amateur Softball Association/USA Softball following her performance during the Aztecs' four-game road sweep, Apr. 16-22. Miles, who was also named the Mountain West Player of the Week for Apr. 24, is the second individual this season to sweep the national awards, joining USF's Sara Nevins (Mar. 13).
- New Mexico has hit 69 home runs as a team this season and currently leads the nation with a 1.73 average per game. The Lobos also rank sixth in the NCAA in slugging percentage (.551) and eighth in scoring.
- Two MW players enter the week hitting above .400. Boise State's Tara Glover leads the league and ranks fourth nationally with a .464 clip at the plate, followed by San Diego State's Hayley Miles (.432).
- New Mexico's Stefanie Carramusa has scored a league-high 51 runs in 2012 and currently ranks third nationally with a 1.28 average.
- New Mexico's Jessica Garcia has driven in a Conference-best 50 runs this season, ranking seventh nationally with an average of 1.25 per game. Garcia sits four RBI shy of the program record of 54, set by Danielle Cassara in 1999.
- San Diego State's Kayla Jordan has four triples this season, tying Hayley Miles (2001) and Stephanie Chapel (1990) for the most by an Aztec freshman.
- UNLV's five-game losing streak is the program's longest since a six-game skid from April 24-28, 2008.
- New Mexico enters this weekend's MW series with Boise State looking to snap a six-game losing streak, its longest of the 2012 campaign.
- The UNLV defense has turned a Conference-best 20 double plays this season to rank sixth nationally with an average of 0.5 per game. Overall, the Rebels also lead the MW with a team fielding percentage of .974.
- Colorado State's back-to-back wins in the first two games of last weekend's series with Boise State ended a seven-game losing streak for the Rams in Mountain West play. Prior to Friday, CSU's last win over an MW opponent was on May 6, 2011 (15-14 vs. Utah).
- At 8-0, Colorado State's Kailey Snyder is the only pitcher on the Rams' staff without a loss.
- San Diego State's Rebecca Arbino leads the MW with four saves this season, ranking ninth nationally.
- San Diego State's Hayley Miles leads the league and ranks 10th nationally with a .871 slugging percentage this season.
- San Diego State's Hayley Miles reached base safely in 12 consecutive plate appearances from April 15-21, going 8-for-8 with four home runs, four singles and four walks. She has reached base safely in 31 straight games (since Feb. 24).
- Fourteen of UNLV's 40 games this season have been one-run decisions. The Rebels are 5-9 in those contests, with two of the losses coming in MW play (vs. Boise State).
- New Mexico's Stefanie Carramusa ranks second and fifth in the country, respectively, in home run average (0.45) and total home runs (18). The junior third baseman's 18 home runs in 2012 surpasses the previous school single-season record of 13, originally set by Danielle Cassara in 1999 and matched by current Lobo Jessica Garcia in 2011. Garcia has 15 homers this season and ranks 10th nationally with a 0.38 average.
- Boise State's Aubray Zell extended her school-record win tally to 18 games in 2012 with Sunday's victory over Colorado State. That eclipses the previous program single-season record of 16, set by teammate Allie Crump in 2010. Zell, a senior righthander, has logged a Conference-best 168.0 innings in the circle this season and also leads the league with 157 strikeouts.
- UNLV's Tayler Aleman hit her 22nd career home run during an Apr. 15 outing at Boise State, moving her into a tie for seventh place on the school's all-time list for career homers.
- Boise State has won 26 straight games at Mountain Cove Softball Field, dating back to the 2010 season. That marks the second-longest active home win streak in the nation, trailing only Louisiana (36). The Broncos' last loss on their home turf came in the first game of a May 1, 2010 twinbill against San Jose State, 7-6. BSU shut out SJSU, 15-0, in the nightcap to embark on its current 26-game streak.
- Colorado State's Emily Pohl has drawn a league-high 36 walks this season, 14 more than teammate Alysa Greckel, who is second on the team with 22.
- San Diego State homered 10 times over four games last week to bring its season tally to 44, a new program single-season record. The Aztecs' 44 homers eclipse the previous mark of 42, set by last year's squad.
- San Diego State's Hayley Miles has cross the plate 49 times in 2012, establishing a new Aztec record for runs scored in a single season. The previous mark of 41 was set by Tiffany Goudy in 2002.
- Boise State's Tara Glover registered her 70th hit of the season in Sunday's win at Colorado State, establishing a new Bronco single-season record. The previous mark of 69 hits was set by Kathy Cox in 2010. Glover enters this week's action riding an eight-game hitting streak, while having reached base safely in 31 straight contests.
- New Mexico's Stefanie Carramusa (.848) is on pace to shatter the program's single-season record for slugging percentage. Lobo teammate Jessica Garcia set the current mark (.801) in 2011.
|Coming Up in Mountain West Softball|
|WEDNESDAY, APRIL 25|
|Cal State Fullerton at SAN DIEGO STATE||6 p.m. PT|| |
|FRIDAY, APRIL 27|
|*NEW MEXICO at BOISE STATE||3 p.m. MT||tape-delay on 5/2, The Mtn., 3:30 p.m. MT|
|*COLORADO STATE at UNLV||6 p.m. PT|| |
|SATURDAY, APRIL 28|
|*COLORADO STATE at UNLV||1 p.m. PT||The Mtn.|
|*NEW MEXICO at BOISE STATE||3 p.m. MT||tape-delay on 5/2, The Mtn., 8:30 p.m. MT|
|SUNDAY, APRIL 29|
|*COLORADO STATE at UNLV||1 p.m. PT||The Mtn.|
|*NEW MEXICO at BOISE STATE||1 p.m. MT||tape-delay on 5/3, The Mtn., 11 p.m. MT|
|* - Mountain West game.|
|CAPS denotes Mountain West team.|
|The Mtn. - The MountainWest Sports Network||DirecTV 616|
|CBSSN - CBS Sports Network||DirecTV 613|
|Rankings listed according to USA Today-NFCA/ESPN.COM-USA Softball polls.|
|All dates and times subject to change.|
|Live stats available for most games.|