Cowgirl Tennis Falls To 3rd Ranked Blue Devils, 4-0
Jan. 27, 2013
DURHAM, N.C. -
The 60th ranked Wyoming Cowgirl Tennis team had a tough task on Sunday as they closed out the weekend with a 4-0 loss against the 3rd ranked Duke Blue Devils. They now fall to 2-2 overall this season.
"I like the fact that we played the 3rd ranked team in the country and didn't back down," said head coach Dean Clower. "We continue to work hard and improve as a team. We've had a solid start to the begin the season and have a few weeks to practice and prepare for the rest of non-conference and conference action."
Duke was solid out of the gates as they took the early lead by winning the doubles point. Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova suffered an 8-0 loss against Marianne Jodoin and Annie Mulholland, while the team of Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova lost by the same score to Hanna Mar and Monica Turewicz. Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova didn't finish their match against Mary Clayton and Ester Goldfeld.
In singles action, it continued to be a challenge for the Cowgirls as Duke took three matches to clinch the win. Turewics defeated Parizher at the number five position, 6-3, 6-1, followed by the 53rd ranked player in the country Mary Clayton over Synkova, 6-4, 6-1. The final point would be won by 63rd ranked Jodoin with a straight set victory against Christa Gecheva. Three other matches were in action but weren't completed on the day.
The Cowgirls will resume play on Friday, Feb. 22, as they face the Creighton Blue Jays. The match is set to be played in Lincoln, Neb.
#3 Duke 4, #60 Wyoming 0
1. #10 Hanna Mar (DUKE) vs. Veronica Popovici (WY) 6-2, 2-1, unfinished
2. #53 Mary Clayton (DUKE) def. Simona Synkova (WY) 6-4, 6-1
3. #40 Ester Goldfeld (DUKE) vs. Alexandra Kovacs (WY) 6-4, 4-1, unfinished
4. Annie Mulholland (DUKE) vs. Sasa Nemcova (WY) 6-3, 5-1, unfinished
5. Monica Turewicz (DUKE) def. Jessica Parizher (WY) 6-3, 6-1
6. #63 Marianne Jodoin (DUKE) def. Christa Gecheva (WY) 6-2, 6-0
1. Mary Clayton/Ester Goldfeld (DUKE) vs. #52 Popovici/Synkova (WY) 1-6, DNF
2. Marianne Jodoin/Annie Mulholland (DUKE) def. Kovacs/Nemcova (WY) 8-0
3. Hanna Mar/Monica Turewicz (DUKE) def. Parizher/Zhelyazkova (WY) 8-0
Wyoming 2-2; National ranking #60
Duke 3-0; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,2,6)