'Dogs Knock Off #33 Waves
Feb. 1, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
BERKELEY, Calif. --- The No. 56 Fresno State women's tennis team arrived in Malibu Friday afternoon and came out victorious over No. 33 Pepperdine 4-3 in the Bulldogs first win over the Waves since 2009. The 'Dogs are now 2-1 on the year with both wins coming against higher ranked opponents.
Sophomore Anne Susdorf recorded victories in both singles and doubles with both matches ending as the deciding points respectively.
"I'm so proud of the girls today for their effort," said head coach Ryan Stotland. "We only had six players ready to play today and every single one of them stepped up. It's a very big win for our program and we are going to continue to strive to get better and work hard every day."
For the second consecutive match, the Bulldogs rallied in doubles to notch the first point. Pepperdine took the first doubles match at the No. 1 spot when #4 Khunpak Issara and Lorraine Guillermo backed up their national ranking besting Aishwarya Agrawal and Rana Sherif Ahmed 8-4. Fresno State then evened the doubles matches at one as Bianca Modoc and Sophie Watts paired up to record their first dual match this year 8-5 at No. 2.
When singles play began, Pepperdine evened the score, then took at 2-1 lead with wins at No. 3 and No. 1.
Senior Modoc recorded her second win for the day at No. 4 by cruising 6-2, 6-3 to tie the match at two apiece. Watts followed her doubles partner by earning another point for Fresno State as she won convincingly on court five, 6-4, 6-0.
Susdorf sealed the win in sweet fashion on court 3, giving up only five games over the course of two sets to claim her second deciding point for the day 6-2, 6-3.
Pepperdine picked up their final point of the day following Susdorf's clinching victory as #92 Issara topped Ahmed 7-6(4), 6-3.
Fresno State is back in action tomorrow as they face #4 USC at noon in Marks Stadium in Los Angeles.
#56 Fresno State 4, #33 Pepperdine 3
1. #104 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 6-2, 6-1
2. #92 Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
3. Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Melissa McQueen (FS) 6-2, 7-5
4. Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) 6-2, 6-3
5. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Megan Moore (PEP) 6-4, 6-0
6. Anne Susdorf (FS) def. Abigail Phillips (PEP) 6-2, 6-3*
1. #4 Khunpak Issara/Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed/Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 8-4
2. Bianca Modoc/Sophie Watts (FS) def. Megan Moore/Michaela Capannolo (PEP) 8-5
3. Melissa McQueen/Anne Susdorf (FS) def. Danielle Feneridis/Ale Granillo (PEP) 8-7 (7-3)*
Fresno State 2-1; National ranking #56
Pepperdine 0-2; National ranking #33
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,1,4,5,6,2)
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - Be sure to LIKE Fresno State Athletics on Facebook and follow your Bulldogs on Twitter (@FSAthletics).