Women's Tennis Drops Match To No. 44 Huskies, 5-2
Feb. 1, 2013
SAN DIEGO - After opening the 2013 dual-match season on a 2-0 high note, the San Diego State women's tennis team was unable to continue its winning ways on Friday, dropping the match to No. 44 Washington, 5-2, at Aztec Tennis Center. The Huskies were the first ranked opponent the Aztecs have faced this season. SDSU falls to 2-1 on the young season.
Washington ran away with an early lead as it swept doubles action. Grace Ysidora and Natali Coronel were the first pair of Huskies to walk away with a win, defeating Laura Antonana Iriarte and Dora Somoracz, 8-5. In first doubles, Julia Wais and Alicia Aguilar would put up a fight but were unable to come up with the win over Elainne Douglas-Miron and Riko Shimzu, 8-7 (6). Taking the final doubles match were Julija Lukac and Andjela Nemecevic over Kristin Buth and Michela Casanova, 8-6.
In singles play, Lukac picked up her second win of the day, over Buth, 6-0, 6-1. Freshman Tami Nguyen would post one of the two points for the Aztecs as she handily defeated Capucine Gregoire, 6-1, 6-4, in fifth singles. Coronel was able to get past Casanova, 6-1, 6-4, as was Douglas-Miron over Antonana Iriarte, 6-4, 6-3, in sixth and third singles, respectively. Senior Wais would post a late rally against No. 107 Ysidora, but would eventually come up short, 6-0, 5-7, 6-4. Notching the second point for San Diego State, and in the final match of the day, was Aguilar as she battled Nemcevic in second singles, 1-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5).
SDSU will next be on the courts on Sunday, Feb. 3, to face the No. 40 Saint Mary's Gaels at 11 am PT.
San Diego State 2, No. 44 Washington 5
Aztec Tennis Center
San Diego, Calif.
1. Elainne Douglas-Miron/Riko Shimzu (UW) def. Julia Wais/Alicia Aguilar (SDSU) - 8-7 (6)
2. Grace Ysidora/Natali Coronel (UW) def. Laura Antonana Iriarte/Dora Somoracz (SDSU) - 8-5
3. Julija Lukac/Andejla Nemcevic (UW) def. Kristin Buth/Michela Casanova (SDSU) - 8-6
(Order of finish: 2, 3, 1)
1. No. 107 Grace Ysidora (UW) def. Julia Wais (SDSU) - 6-0, 5-7, 6-4
2. Alicia Aguilar (SDSU) def. Andjela Nemcevic (UW) - 1-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5)
3. Elainne Douglas-Miron (UW) def. Laura Antonana Iriarte (SDSU) - 6-4, 6-3
4. Julija Lukac (UW) def. Kristin Buth (SDSU) - 6-0, 6-1
5. Tami Nguyen (SDSU) def. Capucine Gregoire (UW) - 6-1, 6-4
6. Natali Coronel (UW) def. Michela Casanova (SDSU) - 6-1, 6-4
(Order of finish: 4, 5, 6, 3, 1, 2)