Falcons Down New Mexico State, 6-1
Feb. 3, 2012
The Air Force women's tennis team improved to 2-1 this spring and 4-1 overall with an impressive 6-1 victory over New Mexico State Friday afternoon in Las Cruces, N.M. The Falcons swept all three doubles matches and captured five of the six singles contests.
AFA's No. 3 doubles team of junior Christine Molina and freshman Tiffany Tran led things off with an 8-2 win over Ginet Pinero and Ros-Polly Nguyen, while the Falcon's No. 1 duo of senior Tahlia Smoke and junior Melissa Cecil clinched the doubles point with an 8-4 triumph over Jodie Williams and Natalia Salum. Air Force also took the No. 2 match as junior Hannah Dake and sophomore Tasha Hueffner defeated Manon Sylvain and Denise Van Der Ben, 8-5.
Smoke put the Falcons ahead 2-0 when Smoke won the No. 4 singles match, 6-0, 6-1, over Nguyen. The Aggies got their only point when Salum downed Dake, 6-4, 7-5 at No. 5. Sophomore Natasha Rizvi won at No. 6, beating Annemieke Witte, 7-5, 6-2 and Molina clinched the match for Air Force with a 6-0, 7-5 win at No. 2 over Van Der Ben.
Tran (No. 3) and Cecil (No. 1) each won in three sets, with Cecil rallying after losing the first set 6-0 to defeat Sylvain, 6-4, 6-3 in the final two sets to remain undefeated at the top spot this spring.
The Falcons take on Northern Arizona on Saturday at 10 a.m. in Las Cruces.
Air Force 6, New Mexico State 1
Feb. 3, 2012 at Las Cruces, N.M.
(NM State Tennis Complex)
1. Cecil / Smoke (AF) def. Jodie Williams / Salum, 8-4
2. Dake / Anastasia Hueffner (AF) def. Sylvain / Van Der Ben, 8-5
3. Molina / Tran (AF) def. Pinero / Nguyen, 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Melissa Cecil (AF) def. Manon Sylvain, 0-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Christine Molina (AF) def. Denise Van Der Ben, 6-0, 7-5
3. Tiffany Tran (AF) def. Ginet Pinero, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
4. Tahlia Smoke (AF) def. Ros-Polly Nguyen, 6-0, 6-1
5. Natalia Salum (NMSU) def. Hannah Dake, 6-4, 7-5
6. Natasha Rizvi (AF) def. Annemieke Witte, 7-5, 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 5, 6, 2, 3, 1