Falcons Fall to 29th-Ranked Nebraska, 7-0
Feb. 11, 2012
The Air Force women's tennis team had its four match winning streak snapped Saturday in a 7-0 loss to 29th-ranked Nebraska in Lincoln, Neb. The Huskers (5-1) swept all nine matches and dropped Air Force to 6-2 this season.
The Falcons battled hard in all three doubles matches, losing the top two by a 9-7 score, including the No. 1 match where senior Tahlia Smoke and junior Melissa Cecil lost to the nation's 53rd-ranked team of Madeleine Geibert and Stefanie Weinstein.
In singles play, Cecil suffered her first loss this season at the No. 1 spot, falling to 50th-ranked Mary Weatherholt, 6-1, 6-0. Junior Hannah Dake was the only Falcon to stretch her match to three sets before falling to Izabella Zgierska, 7-5, 3-6, 1-0, at the No. 5 spot.
"Nebraska is one of the toughest teams we have played in years and we were with them throughout the doubles and the singles," said Air Force coach Kim Gidley. "The team played well and fought hard - we just came up short today.
No. 29 Nebraska 7, Air Force 0
Nebraska Tennis Center
1. No. 53 Geibert / Weinstein (NU) def. Cecil / Smoke, 9-7
2. Veresova / Weatherholt (NU) def. Dake / Rizvi, 9-7
3. Zgierska / Zeppernick (NU) def. Molina / Tran, 8-3
Order of finish - 3, 2, 1
1. No. 50 Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Melissa Cecil, 6-1, 6-0
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Christine Molina, 6-4, 6-0
3. Madeleine Geibert (NU) def. Tiffany Tran, 6-0, 7-6
4. No. 100 Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Tahlia Smoke, 6-4, 6-3
5. Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Hannah Dake, 7-5, 3-6, 1-0
6. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Natasha Rizvi, 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish - 1, 6, 3, 2, 4, 5