Tennis recap: Colorado State drops 6-1 loss to Buffaloes
Feb. 11, 2012
By Amanda Bader
Athletic Media Relations
BOULDER, Colo. - The Colorado State women's tennis team fell 6-1 to the Colorado Buffaloes Saturday night at the Meadows Club. CSU's lone victory of the night was from Adriana Wojakowska at the No. 6 position.
In doubles, the Buffaloes swept the Rams, 3-0, to gain the first point of the match. Tori Arneson and Kaley Schultz fell first, followed by Lauren Mulhern and Natalie Heffron in order to clinch the initial point for CU.
In singles, Colorado State experienced the same luck as it did in doubles, and it wouldn't be until after CU clinched the dual victory that the Rams would notch their first and last win of the night.
However, at the No. 3 position, Heffron did not give up without a fight. After falling in her first set 3-5, Heffron took the second set to a tie-breaking decision before dropping the contest. The loss to her CU opponent, Julyette Steur, was her first loss of the season.
Schultz also tallied her first loss of the season after Erin Sanders of Colorado defeated her in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2.
The Rams hope to make a quick recovery and return to their home turf Sunday in order to take on Northern Arizona at Miramont Lifestyle Fitness. Matches will begin at 9 a.m. MST, admission is free to the public.
1. Schleich/Steur (CU) def. Arneson/Schultz (CSU) 8-4
2. Janssens/Manzi Tenorio (CU) def. Mulhern/Heffron (CSU) 8-3
3. Sanders/Tiefel (CU) def. Wojakowska/Wojakowska (CSU) 8-2
Order of Finish: 1, *2, 3
1. Kristina Schleich (CU) def. Tori Arneson (CSU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Winde Janssens (CU) def. Lauren Mulhern (CSU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Julyette Steur (CU) def. Natalie Heffron (CSU) 7-5, 7-6(5)
4. Erin Sanders (CU) def. Kaley Schultz (CSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Carla Manzi Tenorio (CU) def. Veronika Wojakowska (CSU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Adriana Wojakowska (CSU) def. Ania Anuszkiewicz (CU) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 2, *3, 4, 6, 5