Cowgirl Tennis Rebounds With 5-2 Win Over Loyola Marymount
Feb. 12, 2012
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -
The Wyoming Tennis team closed out their weekend with a 5-2 weekend over the Loyola Marymount Lions, on Sunday afternoon, in Los Angeles. The Cowgirls went 2-1 over the weekend and run their record to 4-3 overall.
"I'm extremely proud of the way we competed and stayed composed throughout the match today," said interim head coach Dean Clower. "The team came together and persevered through tough times. It was a big lift from Veronica and Simona coming back from being down in their doubles match. It speaks volumes of their toughness. This team has only begun to show what they can do."
Loyola Marymount won the first doubles match of the day as Claudia Razzeto and Miya Jin defeated Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova, 8-3. Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova followed with an 8-4 victory against April Bisharat and Tory Parravi. It would come down to the number one team of Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova who pulled out a 9-7 win over the team of Elizaveta Pironkova and Reka Rohonyi.
Wyoming would win four of the six singles matches in order to earn the victory. LMU earned their first point of the day with April Bisharat winning by forfeit over Veronica Popovici. Alexandra Kovacs earned the second point of the day for UW with a 6-4, 7-5 victory over Miya Jin, followed by Parizher over Ashley Anderson, 6-3, 6-4. Parravi defeated Nemcova in straight sets, 7-6, 6-3, while Silviya Zhelyazkova needed three sets to beat Pironkova, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1. Synkova would close out the match with a default win over Razetto.
Wyoming returns to the road on Friday, February 17, against the Utah Utes in Salt Lake City. They will then be at home on Sunday, February 19, as they host the Idaho Vandals. The match is set for 11:00 a.m.
#75 Wyoming 5, Loyola Marymount 2
1. April Bisharat (LMU) def. Veronica Popovici (WYO), by forfeit
2. Simona Synkova (WYO) def. Claudia Razzeto (LMU), by default
3. Alexandra Kovacs (WYO) def. Miya Jin (LMU) 6-4, 7-5
4. Tory Parravi (LMU) def. Sasa Nemcova (WYO) 7-6, 6-3
5. Jessica Parizher (WYO) def. Ashley Anderson (LMU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WYO) def. Elisaveta Pironkova (LMU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
1. Simona Synkova/Veronica Popovici (WYO) def. Elisaveta Pironkova/Reka Rohonyi (LMU) 9-7
2. Claudia Razzeto/Miya Jin (LMU) def. Alexandra Kovacs/Sasa Nemcova (WYO) 8-3
3. Jessica Parizher/Silviya Zhelyazkova (WYO) def. April Bisharat/Tory Parravi (LMU) 8-4