Air Force Downs Northern Iowa, 6-1
Feb. 12, 2012
The Air Force women's tennis team improved to 7-2 this spring with a convincing 6-1 win over Northern Iowa Sunday in Lincoln, Neb. The Falcons won two of the three doubles matches and five of the six singles matches.
The Falcons won at Nos. 1 and 3 doubles to take the doubles point. Senior Tahlia Smoke and junior Melissa Cecil won at the top spot, 8-3, over Krissy Lankelma and Chelsea Moore, while junior Christine Molina and freshman Tiffany Tran won, 8-3, at No. 3 over Cassandra Dix and Steffania Sampaio.
In singles play, Cecil suffered just her second loss of the season at the No. 1 spot, but the other five Falcons won in straight sets.
"This was a great dominating win today," said head coach Kim Gidley. "To win 6-1 against a team that finished second in the Missouri Conference last season is very impressive. The team is playing with a lot of confidence, energy, and fight right now."
The Falcons are back in action on Friday, Feb. 24 against Metro State at the Academy.
Air Force 6, Northern Iowa 1
Feb. 12, 2012
1. Cecil / Smoke (AF) def. Lankelma / Moore, 8-3
2. Pfahler / Kunzleman (UNI) def. Dake / Rizvi, 8-5
3. Molina / Tran (AF) def. Dix / Sampaio, 8-3
1. Nina Pfahler (UNI) def. Melissa Cecil, 5-7, 6-4, (10-3)
2. Christine Molina (AF) def. Cassandra Dix, 6-4, 6-2
3. Tiffany Tran (AF) def. Jessica Kunzleman, 7-6, 6-4
4. Tahlia Smoke (AF) def. Chelsea Moore, 6-3, 6-3
5. Hannah Dake (AF) def. Krissy Lankelma, 6-2, 6-3
6. Natasha Rizvi (AF) def. Stefannia Sampaio, 6-2, 6-0