Cowgirl Tennis Wins Home Opener, 5-2, Over Vandals
Feb. 19, 2012
LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The 63rd ranked Wyoming Tennis team won their home opener 5-2 over the Idaho Vandals, on Sunday morning, in Laramie. It now moves them to 5-4 overall while the Vandals drop to 7-4 on the season.
"Our fans are absolutely the best in the country," said interim head coach Dean Clower. "We had around 150 fans that made it such a great atmosphere for us and a tough place to play for an opposing team. We had some good performances today and I was especially happy to see Alma come in and have a dominating performance at the sixth spot."
The Cowgirls jumped out quickly by winning the first point of the day with a three match sweep in doubles action. The number one team of Simona Synkova and Veronica Popovici defeated Almudena Sanz and Victoria Lozano in a tough match 9-8 (5). Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova earned an 8-6 victory over Molly Knox and Sophie Vickers followed by Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova with an 8-1 win over Annamaria Gould and Beatriz Flores.
Wyoming continued their solid play over in singles action as well by winning four of six matches on the afternoon. Veronica Popovici won her 14th singles match of the season with a 6-2, 6-2 win against Victoria Lozano. She was followed by Kovacs with a straight set win against Molly Knox, 6-1, 6-1. Sasa Nemcova and Alma Espinosa were the other two Cowgirls that were victorious on the day. Nemcova defeated Sophie Vickers, 6-3, 6-4, while Espinosa notched her seventh singles victory, 6-0, 6-1, against Annamaria Gould.
Wyoming will be off this week before returning to action on Friday, March 2. They will host the Denver Pioneers beginning at 2:00 p.m. at the UW Indoor Tennis Complex.
#63 Wyoming 5, Idaho 2
1. Veronica Popovici (WY) def. Victoria Lozano (UI), 6-2, 6-2
2. Almudena Sanz (UI) def. Simona Synkova (WY), 6-2, 6-3 (10-7)
3. Alexandra Kovacs (WY) def. Molly Knox (UI), 6-1, 6-1
4. Sasa Nemcova (WY) def. Sophie Vickers (UI), 6-3, 6-4
5. Beatriz Flores (UI) def. Jessica Parizher (WY), 6-3, 6-4 (6)
6. Alma Espinosa (WY) def. Annamaria Gould (UI), 6-0, 6-1
1. Simona Synkova/Veronica Popovici (WY) def. Almudena Sanz/Victoria Lozano (UI), 9-8 (5)
2. Alexandra Kovacs/Sasa Nemcova (WY) def. Molly Knox/Sophie Vickers (UI), 8-6
3. Jessica Parizher/Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Annamaria Gould/Beatriz Flores (UI), 8-1