Women's Tennis Falls To No. 6 USC, 7-0
Feb. 20, 2013
LOS ANGELES - On a windy day in Los Angeles, the Aztec women's tennis team could not overcome the sixth-ranked Women of Troy, falling 7-0. San Diego State drops to 3-3 on the season and 1-3 against nationally-ranked opponents.
The Trojans got out to an early lead in doubles play as Gabriella DeSimone and Giuliana Olmos getting past Alicia Aguilar and Isabelle Hoorn on court No. 3, 8-0. USC clinched the doubles point with the top-ranked team of Kaitlyn Christian and Sabrina Santamaria defeating Laura Antonana Iriarte and Michela Casanova in first doubles, 8-2.
The Trojans' Santamaria, who sits at the top of the national rankings in both singles and doubles rankings, knocked off Aztec senior Julia Wais in first singles, 6-2, 6-0. Kristin Buth would see the same fate, falling to Christian, 6-0, 6-1. No. 60 DeSimone topped Antonana Iriarte, 6-0, 6-2, while on court No. 6, Casanova fell to Ellie Yates, 6-0, 6-3. SDSU freshman Nguyen saw her singles winning streak come to an end against No. 81 Olmos, 6-3, 6-2. Third-ranked Lao defeated Aguilar in No. 2 singles, 6-1, 6-3.
San Diego State will return home to face Loyola Marymount on Friday, Feb. 22 at 2 pm PT at Aztec Tennis Center.
No. 6 USC 7, San Diego State 0
Los Angeles, Calif.
1. No. 1 Kaitlyn Christian/Sabrina Santamaria (USC) def. Laura Antonana Iriarte/Michela Casanova (SDSU) - 8-2
2. No. 48 Danielle Lao/Valeria Pulido (USC) def. Kristin Buth/Julia Wais (SDSU) - 7-3 (susp.)
3. Gabriella DeSimone/Giuliana Olmos (USC) def. Alicia Aguilar/Isabelle Hoorn (SDSU) - 8-0
(Order of finish: 3,1)
1. No. 1 Sabrina Santamaria (USC) def. Julia Wais (SDSU) - 6-2, 6-0
2. No. 3 Danielle Lao (USC) def. Alicia Aguilar (SDSU) - 6-1, 6-3
3. No. 60 Gabriella DeSimone (USC) def. Laura Antonana Iriarte (SDSU) - 6-0, 6-2
4. No. 81 Giuliana Olmos (USC) def. Tami Nguyen (SDSU) - 6-3, 6-2
5. Kaitlyn Christian (USC) def. Kristin Buth (SDSU) - 6-0, 6-1
6. Ellie Yates (USC) def. Michela Casanova (SDSU) - 6-0, 6-3
(Order of finish: 1, 5, 3, 6, 4, 2)