Falcons Blank CSU-Pueblo, 7-0
Feb. 22, 2013
The Air Force women’s tennis team snapped a four-match losing streak Friday morning with a dominating 7-0 victory over CSU-Pueblo at the Academy. The Falcons improved to 5-4, while the Thunderwolves fell to 2-2 in their first match of the spring season.
The Falcons swept all three doubles matches to win the first point. Junior Anastasia Hueffner and freshman Mary Meyers got things rolling with an 8-1 victory over Nicole Pilot and Brooke Trevithick at the No. 3 position. Sophomores Tiffany Tran and Marcelli Magday followed suit, winning the No. 2 match by the same score over Teresa Haro and Toni Alvarez. Senior Christine Molina and sophomore Natasha Rizvi completed the sweep with an 8-2 victory over Gia Montoya and Katie Howe at the No. 1 spot.
Nothing changed in the singles matches as Air Force swept all six in straight sets, including 6-0, 6-0 wins by Molina (No. 1), Rizvi (No. 3) and Meyers (No. 4). Tran won the No. 2 match, 6-2, 6-2, over Howe, Hueffner beat Montoya, 6-0, 6-2 at No. 5 and Magday downed Martina Gilmore, 6-0, 6-1, at the No. 6 spot.
“I was pleased with how the team stayed focused and did the basics today,” said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley.
The Falcons host two matches on Saturday, Feb. 23 against Northern Arizona at 8:30 a.m. and Metro State at 1 p.m.
Air Force 7, CSU-Pueblo 0
Feb. 22, 2013
1. Molina / Rizvi (AF) def. Montoya / Howe, 8-2
2. Tran / Magday (AF) def. Haro / Alvarez, 8-1
3. Meyers / Hueffner (AF) def. Nicole Pilot / Brooke Trevithick, 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Christine Molina (AF) def. Teresa Haro, 6-0, 6-0
2. Tiffany Tran (AF) def. Katie Howe, 6-2, 6-2
3. Natasha Rizvi (AF) def. Brooke Trevithick, 6-0, 6-0
4. Mary Meyers (AF) def. Toni Alvarez, 6-0, 6-0
5. Anastasia Hueffner (AF) def. Gia Montoya, 6-0, 6-2
6. Marcelli Magday (AF) def. Martina Gilmore, 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 4, 2, 6, 5