'Dogs Down Aggies to Remain Undefeated at Home
Feb. 23, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
FRESNO, Calif. --- The No. 53 Fresno State women's tennis team downed UC Davis 5-2 Saturday morning at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center. The 'Dogs went 2-0 during their opening weekend at home.
The 'Dogs started the morning off in spectacular fashion as they swept all three doubles matches. Olga Kirpicheva and Anneka Watts recorded their second victory in a row at No. 3 winning 8-3. The No. 53-ranked duo of Aishwarya Agrawal and Bianca Modoc followed shortly after winning at the top spot 8-5. The other senior-freshman duo of Melissa McQueen and Rana Sherif Ahmed completed the sweep of doubles on court two with a 8-5 victory.
Fresno State continued its winning ways in singles. The 'Dogs won three consecutive matches to seal the victory.
Senior McQueen was the first to strike in singles picking up her second win of the day 6-3, 6-4 on court three. Freshman Anneka Watts followed suit in notching her second victory with a 6-3, 6-1 at No.5.
For the second consecutive match, Agrawal clinched the match at No. 2 winning with identical scores from a day ago, 6-4, 6-4.
The Aggies got on the scoreboard with a 7-5, 6-0 win at the top spot over Ahmed.
Anne Susdorf came in at the sixth spot for the 'Dogs and outlasted her opponent 6-3, 7-6(4) to give Fresno State its fifth point.
Fresno State will be back in action on March 9 as they travel to Nevada for the start of Mountain West play.
#53 Fresno State 5, UC Davis 2
1. Megan Heneghan (UCD) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 7-5, 6-0
2. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 6-4, 6-4
3. Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Ellie Edles (UCD) 6-3, 6-4
4. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Bianca Modoc (FS) 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (11-9)
5. Anneka Watts (FS) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD) 6-3, 6-1
6. Anne Susdorf (FS) def. Tiffany Pham (UCD) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
1. #53 Aishwarya Agrawal/Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Ellie Edles/Tiffany Pham (UCD) 8-5
2. Melissa McQueen/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Nicole Koehly/Layla Sanders (UCD) 8-4
3. Olga Kirpicheva/Anneka Watts (FS) def. Megan Heneghan/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) 8-3
Fresno State 6-4; National ranking #53
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,5,2,1,6,4)
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - Be sure to LIKE Fresno State Athletics on Facebook and follow your Bulldogs on Twitter (@FSAthletics).