Falcons Win Two at Home on Saturday
Feb. 23, 2013
The Air Force women’s tennis team won a pair of matches Saturday at the Academy, defeating Northern Arizona, 4-3, and Metro State, 7-0. With the two wins, the Falcons improved to 7-4 this season.
The Falcons opened the morning match against NAU by winning the doubles point with victories at the top two spots. Senior Christine Molina and sophomore Natasha Rizvi got things rolling with an 8-1 victory over Ghizelene Doballah and Nicole Perez at the No. 2 spot. Seniors Melissa Cecil and Hannah Dake clinched the point with an 8-4 triumph over Johanna Vang and Hannah Stone at the No. 1 position.
In singles action, Molina and Tran gave Air Force a 3-0 lead with straight-set wins at the top two spots. Molina defeated Stone, 6-3, 6-1 at No. 1 while sophomore Tiffany Tran downed Doballah, 7-5, 6-4 at No. 2. Vang kept NAU alive by defeating Dake at the No. 3 spot, 6-7, 6-0, 6-2, but Rizvi clinched the match for the Falcons with a come from behind 5-7, 6-3, 6-2 win over Malia Wahinepio at No. 4. NAU won the last two singles matches.
“This was a really good weekend for the team to compete at home after four tough matches on the road,” said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley. “The win against Northern Arizona should give our players a lot of confidence as they are a very strong team and consistently finish second in their conference with wins over Mountain West teams this year. Our doubles looked really sharp and the team came out on fire. In the singles, we both have a lot of depth and that is what made the match so tough.”
Air Force swept all nine matches in the afternoon against Metro State. No Falcon lost more than three games in any of the six singles matches.
The Falcons host the University of Houston on Friday, March 1 beginning at 3 p.m.
Air Force 4, Northern Arizona 3
Feb. 23, 2013
1. Cecil / Dake (AF) def. Vang / Stone, 8-4
2. Molina / Rizvi (AF) def. Doballah / Perez, 8-1
3. Pacaut / Wahinepio (NAU) def. Tran / Marcelli Magday, 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Christine Molina (AF) def. Hannah Stone, 6-3, 6-1
2. Tiffany Tran (AF) def. Ghizelene Doballah, 7-5, 6-4
3. Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Hannah Dake, 6-7, 6-0, 6-2
4. Natasha Rizvi (AF) def. Malia Wahinepio, 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
5. Alice Pacaut (NAU) def. Melissa Cecil, 7-6, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Nicole Perez (NAU) def. Mary Meyers, 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 5
Air Force 7, Metro State 0
Feb. 23, 2013
1. Christine Molina (AF) def. Cara Cromwell, 6-2, 6-0
2. Tiffany Tran (AF) def. Alicia Holm, 6-0, 6-1
3. Hannah Dake (AF) def. Marianne Evangelista, 6-0, 6-1
4. Natasha Rizvi (AF) def. Nikki Amos, 6-1, 6-1
5. Melissa Cecil (AF) def. Nicole Herrmann, 6-2, 6-1
6. Anastasia Hueffner (AF) def. Sam Schall, 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 2, 1, 6, 5