Wyoming Tennis Falls 7-0 To 15th Ranked Nebraska
Feb. 24, 2013
LINCOLN, Neb. -
The 64th ranked Cowgirl tennis team closed out their weekend with a tough task Sunday as they lost 7-0 to the 15th ranked Nebraska Cornhuskers. They are now 4-3 overall this spring.
"We played some good tennis today just came up short," said head coach Dean Clower. "Overall this was a good weekend for us and exposed us to situations we have to be ready for. We will get back to work and get ready for another busy week."
Nebraska was solid out of the gates as they took the early lead by winning the doubles point. Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova suffered an 8-2 loss to the 18th ranked team of Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova. Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova fell to Janine Weinreich and Stefanie Weinstein, 8-3, while the team of Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova lost by the same score to Maggy Lehmicke and Izabella Zgierska.
In singles action, it continued to be a challenge for the Cowgirls as the Cornhuskers took all six matches to clinch the win. 16th ranked Weatherholt defeated Popovici, 6-2, 6-2 at the number one position, followed by Lehmicke over Sasa Nemcova, 6-1, 6-2. Nebraska won the fourth and winning point as Veresova won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1, over Synkova. Three other matches were also played on the day. Izabella Zgierska defeated Parizher, 6-4, 6-2, Kovacs fell to Weinstein, 7-6 (7-0), 6-2, and Maike Zeppernick beat Christa Gecheva, 6-3, 6-3.
The Cowgirls return home this week to host the CU Buffs, on Thursday, Feb. 28. The match is set for 11:00 a.m. at the UW Tennis Courts.
#15 Nebraska 7, #64 Wyoming 0
1. #16 Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Veronica Popovici (WY) 6-2, 6-2
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Simona Synkova (WY) 6-2, 6-1
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Alexandra Kovacs (WY) 7-6 (7-0), 6-2
4. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Sasa Nemcova (WY) 6-1, 6-2
5. Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Jessica Parizher (WY) 6-4, 6-2
6. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Christa Gecheva (WY) 6-3, 6-3
1. #18 Weatherholt/Veresova (NU) def. Popovici/Synkova (WY) 8-2
2. Weinreich/Weinstein (NU) def. Kovacs/Nemcova (WY) 8-3
3. Lehmicke/Zgierska (NU) def. Parizher/Zhelyazkova (WY) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,4,2,5,3,6)