Tennis recap: Wichita State tops Rams, 7-0
Feb. 26, 2012
LINCOLN, Neb. - The Colorado State women's tennis team fell 7-0 Saturday afternoon to the Wichita State Schockers at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
Despite the loss, CSU showed promise at critical points throughout the match, but was unable to deliver.
"We had good shots at the No. 3 through No. 6 positions but could not capitalize," said Head Coach Jon Messick. "The dual would have been a lot closer if we could have turned some of those matches around."
In doubles, Wichita State gained its first point of the dual, sweeping the Rams at all three positions, 8-3.
Following doubles, play remained stagnant for Colorado State.
Tori Arneson was the first to drop her match, falling 6-1, 6-0 to her Wichita State opponent, followed by Lauren Mulhern, 6-1, 6-2.
At No. 3 singles, Natalie Heffron kept play alive, taking her match to a third-set tiebreaker before falling 5-7, 7-6, 1-0 (7).
CSU continued to keep it close at Nos. 4 and 5, before dropping those matches to the Shockers.
At No. 4, Kaley Schultz dropped her match in straight sets after drawing her second set to a tie-breaking decision, 6-2, 7-6 (5). Then after a close first set at No. 5, Emese Kardhordo fell 7-5, 6-3.
Wrapping up the dual was Adriana Wojakowska at No. 6, dropping the Rams' final match of the dual, 6-0, 6-4.
Colorado State will return to the courts Sunday to conclude its back-to-back matches in order to take on Nebraska at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
1. Bluskova/Kovalova WSU def. Arneson/Schultz CSU 8-3
2. Budiharto/Venticinque WSU def. Kardhordo/Mulhern CSU 8-3
3. Damaschin/Blasco Fernandez WSU def. A. Wojakowska/V. Wojakowska 8-3
1. Budiharto WSU def. Arneson CSU 6-1,6-0
2. Damaschin WSU def. Mulhern CSU 6-1,6-2
3. Bluskova WSU def. Heffron CSU 5-7,7-6,1-0(7)
4. Kovalova WSU def. Schultz CSU 6-2,7-6(5)
5. Mahajaroenkul WSU def. Kardhordo CSU 7-5,6-3 6. Venticinque WSU def. A. Wojakowska CSU 6-0,6-4