Tennis recap: Rams drop second straight match, 7-0
Feb. 26, 2012
By Amanda Bader
Athletic Media Relations
LINCOLN, Neb. - For the second day in a row, the Colorado State women's tennis team was defeated 7-0, this time against Nebraska. Ranking at No. 27 nationally, the Huskers have been some of the best competition the Rams have faced so far this season.
With the set of losses this weekend, the Rams now hold a record of 2-6, 0-0 MWC while the Huskers moved up to 9-1.
In doubles, Emese Kardhordo and Lauren Mulhern were first to conclude play as the pair fell 8-0 to Jennifer Holmberg and Janine Weinreich of Nebraska. Next off the courts, clinching the doubles point for the Huskers, was Tori Arneson and Kaley Schultz at No. 1, falling 8-1.
In singles, Nebraska's momentum continued as Arneson and Adriana Wojakowska each fell in a tough 6-0, 6-0 loss.
Notching the fourth point of the dual to clinch the match for the Huskers was at the No. 2 position where Mulhern was defeated in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1. At No. 4, Schultz was able to battle a few more games out of her Nebraska opponent, before falling, 6-1, 6-3.
After four straight losses in singles for the Rams, Kardhordo extended an opportunity of hope, beginning her match with a 4-0 lead over Izabella Zgierska of Nebraska. Unfortunately for Kardhordo, the lead wasn't enough to take the first set or offer momentum going into the second set, as she fell 7-5, 6-0.
Closing out the dual for CSU was Natalie Heffron at No. 3 singles. After battling through back-and-fourth play thought the match, Nebraska's Madeleine Geibert topped Heffron 6-2, 7-5.
The Rams will return to the courts during spring break as the team travels to California for a series of four matches. Colorado State will return home April 1 at the Rams' Outdoor Tennis Complex to take on Boise State.
1. No. 57 Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Tori Arneson (CSU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Lauren Mulhern (CSU), 6-0, 6-1
3. Madeleine Geibert (NU) def. Natalie Heffron (CSU), 6-2, 7-5
4. No. 84 Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Kaley Schultz (CSU), 6-1, 6-3
5. Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Emese Kardhordo (CSU), 7-5, 6-0
6. Jennifer Holmberg (NU) def. Adriana Wojakowska (CSU), 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish(1, 6, 2, 4, 5, 3)
1. No. 22 Madeline Geibert/Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Tori Arneson/Kaley Schultz (CSU), 8-1
2. Jennifer Holmberg/Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Emese Kardhordo/Lauren Mulhern (CSU), 8-0
3. Maike Zeppernick/Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Adriana Wojakowska/Veronika Wojakowska (CSU), 8-3
Order of finish(2, 1, 3)