No. 40 Women's Tennis Downs Xavier, 6-1
Feb. 28, 2013
HONOLULU, Hawaii - While enjoying the beautiful surroundings, the San Diego State women's tennis team picked up a win over Xavier in Honolulu, Hawaii, on Thursday. The 40th-ranked Aztecs are on only their second road trip of the season and the first out of southern California. With the 6-1 victory, SDSU moves up to 5-3 on the season.
San Diego State got out to an early lead by picking up the doubles point at the University of Hawai'i Tennis Complex. Julia Wais and Kristin Buth were the first Aztecs to finish off their Musketeer opponents, Alex Brinker and Allyson Westling, 8-1. In first doubles, Michela Casanova and Laura Antonana Iriarte would clinch the point by downing Kally Alkire and Katie Pleiman, 8-5. Sweeping doubles play, Alicia Aguilar and Isabelle Hoorn got past Daniella Patton and Andrea Wolf, 8-5.
In singles play, Antonana Iriarte notched her second win of the day, defeating Alkire, 6-0, 6-4. Senior Wais would also dismiss her Xavier opponent, Pleiman, 6-1, 6-4. On court No. 5 Buth topped Wolf, 6-4, 6-1. In second singles, in the only match the Aztecs would drop, Aguilar fell to Brinker, 6-1, 7-5. Tami Nguyen and Casanova would round out the wins on the day by defeating Patton, 6-2, 6-3, and Caitlin Lawless, 6-4, 7-5, respectively.
Next up, San Diego State will take on host Hawai'i on Saturday, March at 11 am HT.
No. 40 San Diego State 6, Xavier 1
UH Tennis Complex
1. Michela Casanova/Laura Antonana Iriarte (SDSU) def. Kally Alkire/Katie Pleiman (XU) - 8-2
2. Julia Wais/Kristin Buth (SDSU) def. Alex Brinker/Allyson Westling (XU) - 8-1
3. Alicia Aguilar/Isabelle Hoorn (SDSU) def. Daniella Patton/Andrea Wolf (XU) - 8-5
(Order of finish: 2, 1, 3)
1. Julia Wais (SDSU) def. Katie Pleiman (XU) - 6-1, 6-4
2. Alex Brinker (XU) def. Alicia Aguilar (SDSU) - 6-1, 7-5
3. Laura Antonana Iriarte (SDSU) def. Kally Alkire (XU) - 6-0, 6-4
4. Tami Nguyen (SDSU) def. Daniella Patton (XU) - 6-2, 6-3
5. Kristin Buth (SDSU) def. Andrea Wolf (XU) - 6-4, 6-1
6. Michela Casanova (SDSU) def. Caitlin Lawless (XU) - 6-4, 7-5
(Order of finish: 3, 1, 5, 2, 4, 6)