Wyoming Tennis Battles Colorado On Way To 4-3 Victory
Feb. 28, 2013
LARAMIE, Wyo. -
In their first home match of the spring, the Cowgirl tennis team held on to a 4-3 victory over the Colorado Buffs, on Thursday afternoon in Laramie. They are now 5-3 overall this spring.
"This was a good team victory against a solid team from the Pac-12," said head coach Dean Clower. "The team played very mature tennis today and we handled our emotions. We also had great support from the community which was awesome."
Wyoming jumped out early as they continued their solid play in doubles action. Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova took the first match of the day with an 8-3 win over Ashley Tiefel and Dhany Quevedo. Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova defeated Carla Manzi Tenorio and Winde Janssens, 8-6, while the number one team of Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova needed a tiebreaker to beat Julyette Steur and Erin Sanders, 8-7 (7-2).
It would be a battle until the end in singles play with the Cowgirls needing to only win three matches. Sasa Nemcova earned the second point of the day for Wyoming as she defeated Sanders, 6-2, 6-3. The Buffs would get their first point as Steur defeated Popovici in straight sets, 6-4, 7-5. Alexandra Kovacs put UW up 3-1 with her win, 7-6, 6-1, over Quevedo. Synkova would win the first set against Janssens, 6-4, but fell 6-3, 6-1 to lose the match. Sophomore Christa Gecheva would come up big at her sixth spot as she won in two sets, 6-3, 6-3, over Mazy Watrous to give the Cowgirls the fourth and winning point. In the final match of the day, Manzi Tenorio and Parizher each took one set a piece. In the third set, it went back and forth until Manzi Tenorio won the tiebreaker 7-4 in order to win the match. The Cowgirls are back out on the road for the next two matches. They will face the Denver Pioneers, on Friday, March 1, in Denver followed by the Utah Utes, on Tuesday, March 5, in Salt Lake City.
Wyoming 4, Colorado 3
1. Julyette Steur (CU) def. Veronica Popovici (WY) 6-4, 7-5
2. Winde Janssens (CU) def. Simona Synkova (WY) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
3. Alexandra Kovacs (WY) def. Dhany Quevedo (CU) 7-6, 6-1
4. Sasa Nemcova (WY) def. Erin Sanders (CU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Carla Manzi Tenorio (CU) def. Jessica Parizher (WY), 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Christa Gecheva (WY) def. Mazy Watrous (CU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Popovici/Synkova (WY) def. Steur/Sanders (CU) 8-7 (7-2)
2. Kovacs/Nemcova (WY) def. Manzi Tenorio/Janssens (CU) 8-6
3. Parizher/Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Tiefel/Quevedo (CU) 8-3
Match Notes: Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,1,3,2,6,5)