Cowgirl Tennis Earns 5-2 Win Against Pioneers
March 2, 2012
LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The 62nd ranked Wyoming Tennis team earned their sixth victory of the season with a 5-2 win against the Denver Pioneers on Friday afternoon in Laramie. The Cowgirls are now 6-4 on the season in dual action.
"We gutted out another close one today," said interim head coach Dean Clower. "It wasn't pretty but we are finding ways to win even when things get tough. Tomorrow will be another battle so we have to be ready to go against Wichita State."
The Cowgirls jumped out quickly by winning the first point of the day with a three match sweep in doubles action. The number one team of Simona Synkova and Veronica Popovici defeated Sophia Bergner and Steffi Rath, 8-5. Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova earned an 8-7 win over Emma Isberg and Elena Najera, 8-7, followed by Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova with an 8-6 victory Carolina Schnell and Natalie Dunn.
Wyoming continued their solid play over in singles action as well by winning four of six matches on the afternoon. Simona Synkova got things going with a 6-2, 6-0 sweep over Elena Najera. Caroline Schnell earned the first point for the Pioneers with a 7-5, 6-2 victory against Alexandra Kovacs. They would even it up at two all as Sophia Bergner defeated Veronica Popovici, 6-1, 6-4. The Cowgirls would win at the four, five and six spots to seal the match. At the number four spot, Sasa Nemcova came back after falling in the first set 6-3 to win the next two, 6-4, 6-3. Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova were the other two Cowgirls that were victorious on the day. Parizher swept Natalie Dunn, 7-6 (6), 6-3, while Zhelyazkova won 6-3, 6-4.
Wyoming will wrap up the weekend tomorrow as they host the Wichita State Shockers. The match is set for 11:00 a.m. at the UW Tennis Complex.
#62 Wyoming 5, Denver 2
1. Simona Synkova/ Veronica Popovici (UW) def. Sophia Bergner/Steffi Rath (DU) 8-5
2. Sasa Nemcova/ Alexandra Kovacs (UW) def Emma Isberg/Elena Najera (DU) 8-7
3. Silviya Zhelyazkova/ Jessica Parizher (UW) def Caroline Schnell /Natalie Dunn (DU) 8-6
1. Sophia Bergner (DU) def. Veronica Popovici (UW) 6-1, 6-4
2. Simona Synkova (UW) def. Elena Najera (DU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Caroline Schnell (DU) def. Alexandra Kovacs (UW) 7-5, 6-2
4. Sasa Nemcova (UW) def. Emma Isberg (DU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Jessica Parizher (UW) def. Natalie Dunn (DU) 7-6 (6), 6-3
6. Silviya Zhelyazkova (UW) def. Steffi Rath (DU) 6-3, 6-4